Installer_cross based Windows Installer testing

Can you help improve your favourite game? Hardcore C mages, talented artists, and players with any level of experience are welcome!
cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1536
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Installer_cross based Windows Installer testing

Postby cazfi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:28 pm

Working with msys2 based installers has a couple of problems.

As a native build on Windows, freeciv development team members can make msys2 based installers only when having access to a Windows machine. None of us has Windows as primary computer.

Even when there's a Windows machine to use, building with msys2 is extremely slow. There can be only a couple of development iterations a day. Typically when I do use a Windows machine, I can use it only to make a one build.

To address these issues I've done some work to support new installer build method, called installer_cross after the directory it lives in in the freeciv S3_0 and TRUNK source tree. Using dlls from crosser, those installers can be cross-compiled on Linux machine. While building msys2 installers take almost all day, installer_cross build takes just minutes, and happens on the same computer I'm doing my freeciv development on. When need for a new build arises, I can upload it in minutes rather than starting to plan what future day I will set up that task to our Windows machine.

Test builds made with this system live in http://files.freeciv.org/packages/windo ... ler_cross/

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1536
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Installer_cross based Windows Installer testing

Postby cazfi » Sat May 06, 2017 10:00 am

gtk3 programs are currently know to work from these installer packages. Those are gtk3.22-client and modpack installer in gtk3.22-client and sdl2-client packages.

SMACX2
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Re: Installer_cross based Windows Installer testing

Postby SMACX2 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:50 pm

I tried to install the following version

Freeciv-3.0.90-dev-r35417-win64-gtk3.22-setup.exe

Installation worked.
On start of the program immediate crash to desktop.

(Windows 7)

edit: same problem with
Freeciv-2.93.99-alpha-r35361-win64-gtk3.22-setup.exe

windows tells me the error ocurred with "Kernelbase.dll "



edit2:
other build can be installed and started without crash:
Freeciv-3.0.90-dev+r35263-msys2-win64-gtk3.22-setup.exe

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1536
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Installer_cross based Windows Installer testing

Postby cazfi » Fri May 12, 2017 8:56 pm

cazfi wrote:gtk3 programs are currently know to work from these installer packages. Those are gtk3.22-client and modpack installer in gtk3.22-client and sdl2-client packages.

This patch should fix the problem in gtk3 programs: https://www.hostedredmine.com/issues/660105

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1536
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Installer_cross based Windows Installer testing

Postby cazfi » Sun May 14, 2017 3:02 pm

cazfi wrote:
cazfi wrote:gtk3 programs are currently know to work from these installer packages. Those are gtk3.22-client and modpack installer in gtk3.22-client and sdl2-client packages.

This patch should fix the problem in gtk3 programs: https://www.hostedredmine.com/issues/660105

First builds with that fix included now at http://files.freeciv.org/packages/windo ... ler_cross/

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1536
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Installer_cross based Windows Installer testing

Postby cazfi » Sat May 20, 2017 10:21 am

SMACX2 wrote:I tried to install the following version

Freeciv-3.0.90-dev-r35417-win64-gtk3.22-setup.exe

Installation worked.
On start of the program immediate crash to desktop.

This seems like the gtk3 based programs problem I told about. Can you test with the newer builds if it works now?

The newest builds are from r35673.

http://files.freeciv.org/packages/windo ... snapshots/

SMACX2
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Re: Installer_cross based Windows Installer testing

Postby SMACX2 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:21 am

cazfi wrote:
This seems like the gtk3 based programs problem I told about. Can you test with the newer builds if it works now?

The newest builds are from r35673.

http://files.freeciv.org/packages/windo ... snapshots/



I tried to install build

Freeciv-3.0.90-dev-r35673-win64-gtk3.22-setup.exe

After a short test, I did not encounter any problems. Great!

It is nice that you can move around the mini-map and empire info freely. It would be useful if the "Messages" window were also a separate small window, which can be moved around independently.

edit: Oh I found it is already possible with double click on the tab to move the different windows around.

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1536
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Installer_cross based Windows Installer testing

Postby cazfi » Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 am

There's now nightly builds of installer_cross Windows Installers set up. You can grab your fresh freeciv every morning from http://files.freeciv.org/packages/windo ... s/nightly/

SMACX2
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Re: Installer_cross based Windows Installer testing

Postby SMACX2 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:44 pm

cazfi wrote:There's now nightly builds of installer_cross Windows Installers set up. You can grab your fresh freeciv every morning from http://files.freeciv.org/packages/windo ... s/nightly/


I tested:
Freeciv-2.93.99-alpha-r35685-win64-gtk3.22-setup.exe

Found a few problems:
1. clicking on citizens in city screen does not change the specialist graphics. Output does change as expected, but the graphics show always normal workers.
2. In the freeciv help browser the small arrows which indicate a submenu are not visible (but functional).

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1536
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Installer_cross based Windows Installer testing

Postby cazfi » Mon May 22, 2017 10:46 pm

SMACX2 wrote:2. In the freeciv help browser the small arrows which indicate a submenu are not visible (but functional).
-> Bug #662684

I've made a build with the patch from the bug ticket. Can you test if it helps: http://files.freeciv.org/packages/windo ... ross/test/