civ2civ3 and sandbox

Can you help improve your favourite game? Hardcore C mages, talented artists, and players with any level of experience are welcome!
bard
Veteran

civ2civ3 and sandbox

Post by bard »

I plan to create some patches for this ruleset to take advantage of some of the latest changes. Which one should I modify if I work with trunk version, civ2civ3 or sandbox?

There are a couple of patches related to unit defense balance that I would like to send for v2.6. Am I still in time to send changes for this branch, or should I work on v3.0?
GriffonSpade
Elite

Re: civ2civ3 and sandbox

Post by GriffonSpade »

bard wrote:I plan to create some patches for this ruleset to take advantage of some of the latest changes. Which one should I modify if I work with trunk version, civ2civ3 or sandbox?

There are a couple of patches related to unit defense balance that I would like to send for v2.6. Am I still in time to send changes for this branch, or should I work on v3.0?
Perhaps create your own fork of civ2civ3 and/or sandbox, detail the differences, and release it as a mod for people to compare, contrast, and test?
bard
Veteran

Post by bard »

I was the original author of civ2civ3 mod and I used to take care of the balance of this ruleset in the repository, but I have been away for some time. Now that I'm back I have noticed that sandbox is a fork of civ2civ3 where they have been introduced some new features and I was wondering if it is ok for the developers that I continue trying to improve the civ2civ3 version of the repository, and maybe import some of the changes already made to sandbox.
Or if you prefer to halt the development of civ2civ3, and to introduce any further changes in the sandbox version.

Anyway, I'll continue sharing my modifications as a modpack named civ2civ3_earth (already available for v2.5, soon also for v2.6).
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

bard wrote:There are a couple of patches related to unit defense balance that I would like to send for v2.6. Am I still in time to send changes for this branch, or should I work on v3.0?
Since I have not yet managed to get a 2.6 beta out, I think the door is still open for 2.6 civ2civ3 ruleset changes.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

bard wrote:Which one should I modify if I work with trunk version, civ2civ3 or sandbox?
The sandbox ruleset "showcases new or unusual features available in Freeciv without regard for strict game balancing, playability, AI performance, or savegame compatibility between versions." It is for experimentation. See patch 6452. I think you should document in sandbox if you change 2.6 civ2civ3 but not sandbox. See patch #7743.
bard
Veteran

Post by bard »

Ok, thank you.
These are the patches I was talking about: https://gna.org/patch/index.php?8124 and https://gna.org/patch/index.php?8123, in case someone has some suggestion. They are minor changes, but I think important for balance.