FreeChiron Project

Can you help improve your favourite game? Hardcore C mages, talented artists, and players with any level of experience are welcome!
fchiron

FreeChiron Project

Post by fchiron »

Hey everyone! - I'm new around here but am an old FreeCiv player / Linux Programmer. My name is Josh and I'm working on a project called FreeChiron. My favorite PC game has been and always will be Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossfire. A couple years ago I came across the FreeAC codebase, though quite outdated. I thought back then about creating my own Alpha Centauri-universe game based on FreeCiv, but really never ran with it. Now years later I started messing around again, and I created some terrain tilesets similar to the Alpha Centauri terrain. I also created several test nation rulesets / factions including The Human Hive, Gaia's Stepdaughters, etc. I've decided now to get this going under the name FreeChiron. I'm hoping to go further in and try to integrate what the FreeAC project started. If not with the current FreeCiv codebase, I may have to fork off on my own with the last known FreeAC code into my own game, this FreeChiron.

I will be putting up a site / blog very soon, if anyone is interested in following.

Josh
Joshua E. Horn
Admin / Lead Programmer, FreeChiron Project
i1abnrk

Re: FreeChiron Project

Post by i1abnrk »

There is an alien ruleset that comes with standard freeciv at the moment. It was created by cazfi and I believe he is looking for a new tileset to go with his mod as well. If you are looking to collaborate, there's a lead.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

fchiron wrote:I will be putting up a site / blog very soon, if anyone is interested in following.
Interesting. Where can I find the site/blog?
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

I recently saw a video* of SMAC game play. I noticed that Probe teams can steal credits. I have added support for stealing gold to Freeciv 2.6. It would be interesting to know how useful the current support is if implementing the SMAC rules for this action is the goal. At the moment there is an action ("Steal Gold"), two effects ("Max_Stolen_Gold_Pct" and "Thiefs_Share_Pct") and a variable you can use to set the name displayed to the user (ui_name_steal_gold).

You can change the name shown to the user to talk about credits in stead of gold by setting the variable ui_name_steal_gold. Remember that Freeciv expects to be able to insert two strings (for mnemonic and extra information) so add two "%s" in the name you pick.

If the action is allowed or not is controlled by action enablers. An action enabler has the action it enables and two requirement vectors: one for the acting unit (the probe team) and one for the target (the city). If both requirement vectors are true the action enabler is active. Many action enablers can enable the same action. It is enough that one of them is active. This is useful if the rules for allowing credit theft are complex. To always allow all probe teams to steal gold all you have to do is to create an action enabler for Steal Gold with Probe Team as a unit requirement in the actor_reqs requirement vector.

The Max_Stolen_Gold_Pct effect regulates how much of the target player's gold can be stolen. Its requirement vector applies to the target city. The Thiefs_Share_Pct controls how much of the stolen gold reaches the player. Its requirement vector applies to the actor unit.

* Haven't found my old SMAC CD yet.