Contribution Query - combat.c

Can you help improve your favourite game? Hardcore C mages, talented artists, and players with any level of experience are welcome!
NotAnyoneSpecial

Contribution Query - combat.c

Post by NotAnyoneSpecial »

Hi, I posted previously on defense bonuses in Rulesets and modifications.

I looked into the source code, namely /common/combat.c and I'm wondering is the hardcoded defense bonus for units in cities only present in the function defense_multiplication - because if so, then hopefully this may be a simple enough fix although probably would need some refining such as making it a server option to whether cities should automatically grant fortification to units that can fortify or should the units actually need to be commanded to do so - along with the ruleset specific bonus given for fortification. Since I'm not sure how server options work nor how rulesets are actually read, beyond some light snooping - I think its out of my scope to offer anything useful in that area.

What the solution presented does is simply compare the Defend_bonus effect against the currently hardcoded fortification bonus, only applying the highest one. In the case of a city with walls, the effect bonus is only applied - in cases where the ruleset only applies say an extra 10% to defense - the fortification bonus is only applied. Basically the better bonus is applied, I'm curious to whether there are any glaring problems that others might find too.

Code: Select all

static int defense_multiplication(const struct unit_type *att_type,
				  const struct unit_type *def_type,
				  const struct player *def_player,
				  const struct tile *ptile,
				  int defensepower, bool fortified)
{
  struct city *pcity = tile_city(ptile);
  int mod = 100;

fc_assert_ret_val(NULL != def_type, 0);

if (NULL != att_type) {
    int defense_divider;
    int defense_multiplier = 1 + combat_bonus_against(def_type->bonuses, att_type,
                                                      CBONUS_DEFENSE_MULTIPLIER);

defensepower *= defense_multiplier;

if (!utype_has_flag(att_type, UTYF_IGWALL)) {
      /* This applies even if pcity is NULL. */
      mod = 100 + get_unittype_bonus(def_player, ptile,
				     att_type, EFT_DEFEND_BONUS);
    }

defense_divider = 1 + combat_bonus_against(att_type->bonuses, def_type,
                                               CBONUS_DEFENSE_DIVIDER);
    defensepower /= defense_divider;
  }

defensepower +=
    defensepower * tile_extras_defense_bonus(ptile, def_type) / 100;

if ((pcity || fortified)
      && uclass_has_flag(utype_class(def_type), UCF_CAN_FORTIFY)) {
    defensepower = MAX(((defensepower * 3) / 2), (defensepower * mod / 100));
  } else {
	defensepower = MAX(0, defensepower * mod / 100);
	}

return defensepower;
}
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Contribution Query - combat.c

Post by Ignatus »

... :mrgreen: a lightning strikes reviving the thread...
I think we should better make Fortified_Bonus an effect calculated by get_unittype_bonus() and set it to zero in cities with walls and fortresses as well as for units that fortify to avoid disturbing a player only (instead of CantFortify hardcoded flag). Neither of commercial Civ1-3 has auto fortify bonus in cities (just there are rumours Civ2 multiplayer has something like this but I doubt if it's not Freeciv that bore them) and we could cease having it in further versions.
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Contribution Query - combat.c

Post by Ignatus »