Page 6 of 11

Re: Windows testing

Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:19 pm
by Arbogast
Thank you for keeping me up on the news.
As the 2 versions of 2.6 I have don't click, I go back to the latest 2.5.3 so I can keep playing.
I wait for another, newer version of 2.6 while I hold my breath.

Re: Windows testing

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:41 am
by cazfi

Re: Windows testing

Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:55 am
by Caedo
The localhost cmdlevel problem appears to have been fixed. If I find any bugs in the current version, I'll be sure to report them.

Re: Windows testing

Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:52 pm
by Arbogast
about the 'Freeciv-2.6.0-alpha+r32668-gtk3' :
The gray and White UI, is that a default setting? It's horrible :
The 'statistic' on the right side needs to get used to it.
Again, the colors are harmful to the eyes. Why not the original colors ?
The minimap cannot be displayed as in GTK2. Annoying...

I deleted that GTK3 version as quick as I could. just horrible...

Re: Windows testing

Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:37 pm
by dunnoob
cazfi wrote:New build from S2_6 r32668
Gna! rant: Somebody with admin rights, please split the download.gna.org/freeciv/* stuff in two categories: OLD, everything older than 2.3.x (roughly 2011 or older), limited to the last known good stuff that might work somewhere for somebody, and NEW, i.e., 2.3.5 or 2.4.4 or anything really new (2.5.x or alpha tests). Recently I downloaded a promising 25 MB package and ended up with lots of clients, servers, rule editors, manual makers, and modpack installers, but no instructions how to create one actually working complete test folder. :x

It takes about 50 (fifty) hours to upgrade a working 2.5 ruleset to a startable (but so far unplayable) 2.6 ruleset, based on the "how to upgrade" wiki-page, on manual comparisons of each modified file in 2.5 and 2.5.99 classic/experimental, and on fixing obvious start errors shown in the chat-window.

As Plan B I tested the classic ruleset with an r32098 alpha test, that worked as usual (killed at turn 410, starship victory not tested, two AI allies insisted on a mutual peace instead of a team victory). Notable changes, oil mines require some tech (not sure what, maybe engineers instead of workers), building bases is now upper case (shift-F or shift-E instead of f or e), and much better visual paths (but path-finding for missiles and bombers is still odd, i.e., not as straight forward as it used to be before 2.5). :) At one point the GTK client announced an immediate crash (as always, some popup window not behaving as it should, exit and re-load fixes it, otherwise it would really crash, and a reload fixes it.)

Re: Windows testing

Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:19 pm
by cazfi
dunnoob wrote:It takes about 50 (fifty) hours to upgrade a working 2.5 ruleset to a startable (but so far unplayable) 2.6 ruleset, based on the "how to upgrade" wiki-page, on manual comparisons of each modified file in 2.5 and 2.5.99 classic/experimental, and on fixing obvious start errors shown in the chat-window.

I HIGHLY recommend doing such upgrades with separately run server, so you can see all the server errors instead of needing to second guess something shown on chat-window. In 2.6 there's also new '--warnings' commandline parameter to turn on warnings about deprecated constructs freeciv finds on custom content (some things it notice already when loading, something when actually encountered in the game)
dunnoob wrote:oil mines require some tech (not sure what, maybe engineers instead of workers), building bases is now upper case (shift-F or shift-E instead of f or e), and much better visual paths (but path-finding for missiles and bombers is still odd, i.e., not as straight forward as it used to be before 2.5). :) At one point the GTK client announced an immediate crash (as always, some popup window not behaving as it should, exit and re-load fixes it, otherwise it would really crash, and a reload fixes it.)

Oil Well availability depends on terrain. See help of terrains. Building bases does not share the key with fortifying for making it possible (when ruleset allows) the same unit do either (previously 'f' always meant 'build fortress' for a unit capable of it).

Re: Windows testing

Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:28 pm
by cazfi
Ad for freeciv-3.0 already; freeciv-ruledit in 3.0 will be able to load 2.6 rulesets, and so can later future versions load rulesets of the previous version (but not older). You can then just save the ruleset again, and you've got ruleset in a new format.
1) The biggest issue (and the one I'm spending most freeciv-ruledit related time - there's probably not much else happening for ruledit during freeciv-3.0 cycle) is that the rulesets saved by ruledit are still not human-readable. I don't have plans for any method to include custom comments to them, but at least the usual documentation comments should get there and overall layout cleaned up
2) While all this is side-product of ruledit development, there's now actually separate utility called freeciv-ruleup that does just the load+save for a given ruleset. It's commandline-based, so it doesn't even have Qt-dependency like ruledit has.

Re: Windows testing

Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:31 pm
by dunnoob
cazfi wrote:Ad for freeciv-3.0 already; freeciv-ruledit in 3.0 will be able to load 2.6 rulesets, and so can later future versions load rulesets of the previous version (but not older). You can then just save the ruleset again, and you've got ruleset in a new format.
Great, I already considered to create an awk or rexx script for obvious (= documented in "how to upgrade") issues, but load old working and save as new (hopefully still working) ruleset is simpler and exactly what I miss for my 2.6 adventure. If I get around to it I'll try to port one 2.5 change to a copied classic 2.6 at a time, and sooner or later I should stumble about whatever is not obvious.

And I'll try your separate server tip, just using option -d 3 didn't help for "startable, but silently exits at the first move".

Re: Windows testing

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:32 pm
by dunnoob
Quick test of freeciv-mp-cli.exe (32bits, crosser 1.0.7, r32688): Without options the tool apparently displays the 2.6/modpack.list. Options /?, /h, and -? fail, but -h or --help work. I tested intentionally what folks on Windows would try. The /? and /h abominations are optional, DOS 2.x could be convinced to support - as SWITCHAR for a decent -h or -?.

None of the options shown by -h looked promising, therefore I tried freeciv-mp-cli Alienmusic. That didn't work, the tool insisted on an option. freeciv-mp-cli -i http://modpack.freeciv.org/2.6/alienmusic-0.1.modpack did the trick, Is that as it should be, download only by full URL, not by name?

Re: Windows testing

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:03 pm
by dunnoob
Quick test Freeciv-2.6.0-alpha+r32668-msys2-win32-gtk3-setup.exe: Immediate uninstall and delete download, it starts as full screen, and there is no obvious way to start it in a window.