Windows testing

Freeciv builds other than releases, for people to test.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Windows testing

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:3) Playing is very choppy and slow, but it could be that my machine is getting old. But previous versions worked and works very nicely.
I assume that you are now comparing freeciv-2.4 gtk2-client with freeciv-2.5 gtk3-client. We've never made official build of freeciv-2.4 gtk3-client because of it's so slow. gtk2-client will be the default client also in freeciv-2.5.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Glad to hear that.
What about the GUI? Will it be revamped? Strategy Thinker's comments seem pretty pertinent to me.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Not playing with various gtk3 versions this time, but I've made new S2_5 Windows Installers (gtk2,gtk3,sdl) from revision 25500. http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package ... ing/cazfi/
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

2.5 test builds from r27850: http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package ... 2+-r27850/

At the time of writing, contents of http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/NEWS-2.5.0-RC1 match with how this build differs from beta2.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

For Windows users not afraid of bugs and other issues of a development version, there's a "2.6-alpha0" build to provide some taste of what 2.6 will be like: http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package ... .6-alpha0/

2.6 datafile format is not frozen yet, so all the custom modpacks are in flux and subject to change. Don't expect things you install via 2.6-alpha0 modpack installer to work on that revision; at the time of writing this I've updated variant2 to be compatible with the alpha0 build. In the coming days I'll update some more modpacks, but eventually they will also get updated to even newer format making them incompatible with alpha0 again.

The build is from freeciv svn branch S2_6, revision 28706 (committed this, 04-Apr-15, morning).
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

My experiences from testing 2.6-alpha0:

For some reason, the GTK3-client's UI was derping around (buttons and stuff weren't draw, but instead shown as unicolored fields), so I switched to GTK2 again.
There I noticed that the "Unit: Orders / Goto events" event also triggered when trying to move a unit onto non-native terrain with the default numpad keys. Of course this is somewhat logical, but at the same time it's annoying: either I get an unneeded message every time I press the wrong button or try to move my ship straight into one direction when it hits a continent, or I don't get messages at all if a goto order fail. Should be split up into two events that can be configured seperately IMO.
Also, the supplied "hexemplio" tileset has some glitchy graphics (for example cities) ─ I suggest including GriffonSpade's AmplioHexBig tileset instead, since that's basically the same, except most of the adjusting, offsetting and editing work is already done.
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Caedo wrote:I suggest including GriffonSpade's AmplioHexBig tileset instead, since that's basically the same, except most of the adjusting, offsetting and editing work is already done.
Hexemplio was originally derived from amplio2hexbig (ported to 2.6, and some unnecessary stuff left out), but I've had no time to port some of the latest ampliohexbig updates. There is no ampliohexbig for 2.6.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Caedo wrote:There I noticed that the "Unit: Orders / Goto events" event also triggered when trying to move a unit onto non-native terrain with the default numpad keys. Of course this is somewhat logical, but at the same time it's annoying: either I get an unneeded message every time I press the wrong button or try to move my ship straight into one direction when it hits a continent, or I don't get messages at all if a goto order fail. Should be split up into two events that can be configured seperately IMO.
Is it less annoying to get a message where an order to move given with the mouse fails before you are "done" with the unit? (The order fails the same turn it was given and the unit has moves left after the failure) Is the annoyance "I can see that it didn't move" or "I used the numpad"?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

sveinung wrote:
Caedo wrote:There I noticed that the "Unit: Orders / Goto events" event also triggered when trying to move a unit onto non-native terrain with the default numpad keys. Of course this is somewhat logical, but at the same time it's annoying: either I get an unneeded message every time I press the wrong button or try to move my ship straight into one direction when it hits a continent, or I don't get messages at all if a goto order fail. Should be split up into two events that can be configured seperately IMO.
Is it less annoying to get a message where an order to move given with the mouse fails before you are "done" with the unit? (The order fails the same turn it was given and the unit has moves left after the failure) Is the annoyance "I can see that it didn't move" or "I used the numpad"?
It's mainly that when the unit is still selected (because the failed move didn't cost movement points), I see that it didn't move/didn't complete the full order, so the message is unnecessary and might spam the message window when having a stack of units selected. So, it's generally the "Yeah, I can see that, you don't need to tell me again".
~ AVL
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Caedo wrote:It's mainly that when the unit is still selected (because the failed move didn't cost movement points), I see that it didn't move/didn't complete the full order, so the message is unnecessary and might spam the message window when having a stack of units selected. So, it's generally the "Yeah, I can see that, you don't need to tell me again".
I agree that it is annoying. Fixed. The message isn't sent when the player is watching. I didn't remove any message that explained what happened. Please submit a feature request to our patch tracker if rule explanations becomes too annoying. Maybe "rule explaining order failure messages when the player is watching" should be a separate event category so experienced players can turn it off? If you discover other annoying non rule explaining messages that are sent when the player is watching please submit a bug report.