Contributing a Soundtrack

Can you help improve your favourite game? Hardcore C mages, talented artists, and players with any level of experience are welcome!
mqtx

Re: Contributing a Soundtrack

Post by mqtx »

A separate modpack which doesn't come installed by default doesn't sound very exciting... I think I get it... no prob... I'll keep posting songs now and then though to see if the mood changes.
cazfi wrote:It's too early to say anything about inclusion of the musicset to the main freeciv distribution, but I'm not aware of anybody else working on musicset at the moment, so your's is likely to end up being de-facto standard musicset, even if separate modpack.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

mqtx: What about 'noises'? Guns and Crashes and Screams like. Maybe these sounds could motivate people, certainly me. :)
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

mqtx wrote:A separate modpack which doesn't come installed by default doesn't sound very exciting... I think I get it... no prob... I'll keep posting songs now and then though to see if the mood changes.
Freeciv needs a soundtrack ! I'm pretty sure your work will be used. Currently, it's not available in freeciv-modpack, but once it's ready and included, it could very well replace Freesounds as the de facto default, making Linux distros like Ubuntu etc package it.

You're doing a great job ! Keep going !

Louis

[BTW, I think Game02 could very well be used in The Battle for Wesnoth or SuperTux. It feels like I'm in a cave, and some strange creatures (orcs, dwarfs, ...) are going to attack me.]
mqtx

Post by mqtx »

Alright alright... I appreciate your feedback gentlemen ;)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

louis94 wrote:it could very well replace Freesounds as the de facto default
Technical detail: Freesounds is soundset (sound effects) and mqtx is musicset (soundtrack). Freeciv-2.6 will be the first version that supports musicsets.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Related to music code: Support for ruleset lua-script to initiate playing of some track on player's client has now been added. After the lua-initiated track has been played, regular music continues. This is meant mainly for modders, but if wanted, we could play some tags from supplied rulesets too, in events like city loss or conquest, or welcoming intro when new game starts.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Arbogast wrote:mqtx: What about 'noises'? Guns and Crashes and Screams like. Maybe these sounds could motivate people, certainly me. :)
There are a few noises in a FreeCol installation, e,g., freecol/data/rules/classic/resources/sound/attack contains artillery.ogg + dragoon.ogg + naval.ogg
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

dunnoob wrote:There are a few noises in a FreeCol installation, e,g., freecol/data/rules/classic/resources/sound/attack contains artillery.ogg + dragoon.ogg + naval.ogg
I think stdsounds soundset contains some sounds from FreeCol, but those are from an ancient (at least ten years) old version, so there might be some new ones to add now. Patches welcome.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

But are they an improvement on the Freesounds ?
They -Freesounds- works Ok on Defaultx but on Civ2Civ3 they fall short.
Need any details?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Note that if you start improving Freesounds, and want to distribute such changes, you need to be careful with the licenses. Freesounds is not GPL and no GPL sounds can be mixed to it. That's the main reason freesounds is not the default soundset distributed with freeciv but custom modpack.