Contributing a Soundtrack

Can you help improve your favourite game? Hardcore C mages, talented artists, and players with any level of experience are welcome!
cazfi
Elite

Re: Contributing a Soundtrack

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:I'll try to make trunk Windows Installer build for you to use within a few days.
http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package ... -setup.exe

I also opened one new ticket about missing features related to music patch #4964
mqtx

Post by mqtx »

cazfi wrote:
cazfi wrote:I'll try to make trunk Windows Installer build for you to use within a few days.
http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package ... -setup.exe

I also opened one new ticket about missing features related to music patch #4964
Thanks much for the installer.

I installed the game, installed the modpack. I would have expected to restart the game and have the new music set set as default but it was not. Anyway, went to local server options, selected the new music set. Then I would have expected to hear something new but it didn't happen. Finally, I closed freeciv, clicked again on it but the game is not starting anymore (I ran it on the console and it doesn't show any errors).

I feel a bit frustrated. The ticket about "missing features related to music" is somehow disheartening too. This the most basic stuff you would expect from a music system. I also heard the music included by default (not mine) and when the game starts and the music fades out, the sound starts to crack (running in Windows 7 in a system with good performance)...

Hope it helps!
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

1) I too noticed that changing the musicset option does not take effect until client restart when I tested this. Had no time to look in to it earlier, but now there's a fix in review: bug #22390

2) Does the client produce any files to the directory you run it from when running from console? Have you tried with higher logging levels ("-d <level>" commandline option)?

3) When running from console, one can use commandline option "-m <musicset>" to select the musicset to use. In case the problem is in the changed musicset setting, you can test if client starts with "-m stdmusic"

4) Have you installed the latest version of mqtx musicset with modpack installer?

5) Missing features might be basic, but they still don't implement themselves - and I'm likely to reduce my freeciv development time to 14 hours / week (2 hours / day) than to increase it from current levels.
mqtx

Post by mqtx »

cazfi wrote: 2) Does the client produce any files to the directory you run it from when running from console? Have you tried with higher logging levels ("-d <level>" commandline option)?
I don't know what this is but I've tried:
freeciv-gtk2.exe -d 0
freeciv-gtk2.exe -d 1
freeciv-gtk2.exe -d 2
freeciv-gtk2.exe -d 3

And still nothing happens
cazfi wrote: 3) When running from console, one can use commandline option "-m <musicset>" to select the musicset to use. In case the problem is in the changed musicset setting, you can test if client starts with "-m stdmusic"
I doesn't start either. BTW, I don't know how to uninstall a modpack.
cazfi wrote: 4) Have you installed the latest version of mqtx musicset with modpack installer?
Yes.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

The only difference between the first lauch (which worked for you) and the following ones (which didn't work) that you had no client settings configuration file saved at first launch.

In Win7 that's usually C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.freeciv\.freeciv-client-rc-2.6 (note that it used not to be inside .freeciv, so you may have C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.freeciv-client-rc-2.6 as leftover from earlier installation). Rename that file (don't delete as we want to investigate it if it was the reason freeciv refused to start) and try to start freeciv again. If that works, please attach the config file that caused this.
mqtx

Post by mqtx »

cazfi wrote:The only difference between the first lauch (which worked for you) and the following ones (which didn't work) that you had no client settings configuration file saved at first launch.

In Win7 that's usually C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.freeciv\.freeciv-client-rc-2.6 (note that it used not to be inside .freeciv, so you may have C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.freeciv-client-rc-2.6 as leftover from earlier installation). Rename that file (don't delete as we want to investigate it if it was the reason freeciv refused to start) and try to start freeciv again. If that works, please attach the config file that caused this.
Works with this but now it starts with the old music. I attach the config file.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Seems like the client configuration file didn't make it here for some reason.

Anyway, does it now work if you select mqtx from the command line "freeciv-gtk2.exe -m mqtx"?

Uninstalling a modpack is not yet supported by modpack installer - it doesn't have the information what files belong to a given modpack so it can't tell what it should remove. You can just delete the files manually, though. They are in c:\\Users\<username>AppData\Roaming\.freeciv\dev\ (last part being the freeciv version - now we are talking about development version). To remove mqtx, delete mqtx.musicspec -file and entire mqtx -directory.
mqtx

Post by mqtx »

cazfi wrote:Seems like the client configuration file didn't make it here for some reason.

Anyway, does it now work if you select mqtx from the command line "freeciv-gtk2.exe -m mqtx"?
Yes, that works.
mqtx

Post by mqtx »

Bump! Any conclusions on the tracks I submitted? If nobody's really interested, I'm going to dump this initiative but if there is any chance to have them included in the future 2.6 release by default, I have some time now to work on new tracks. Let me know folks!

http://soundcloud.com/mqtx
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

It's too early to say anything about inclusion of the musicset to the main freeciv distribution, but I'm not aware of anybody else working on musicset at the moment, so your's is likely to end up being de-facto standard musicset, even if separate modpack.