Contributing a Soundtrack

Can you help improve your favourite game? Hardcore C mages, talented artists, and players with any level of experience are welcome!
mqtracks

Re: Contributing a Soundtrack

Post by mqtracks »

cazfi wrote:Are these instructions detailed enough: http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Windows_I ... t_Creation
I followed the instructions in "First build" and everything went well until I typed "make gtk3-installer". Then I got:

Code: Select all

$ make gtk3-installer
make GUI=gtk3 FCMP=gtk3 wrap-gtk3
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/User/freeciv/freeciv-2.5/win32/installer'
# create build directory
mkdir -p build-gtk3
# configure
cd build-gtk3; ../../../configure --enable-client=gtk3 --with-followtag="win32-S2_5" --enable-fcdb=sqlite3 --enable-fcmp=gtk3
/bin/sh: ../../../configure: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [build-freeciv-common] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/User/freeciv/freeciv-2.5/win32/installer'
make: *** [gtk3-installer] Error 2
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Oh, it expects configure to exist, which is not the case when using svn checkout.

Does the following to generate the configure -script first work:

> cd freeciv-2.5/freeciv
> ./autogen.sh --no-configure-run
And you will want the TRUNK version for the new music patches I'm making, they won't be part of 2.5 that's already close to first beta. And as it has turned out, gtk3-client built this way is still not working very well on Windows, so let's switch to old reliable gtk2-client.

So:

Launch msys.bat you already have
> cd freeciv
> svn co svn://svn.gna.org/freeciv/trunk freeciv-TRUNK
> cd freeciv-TRUNK
> ./autogen.sh --no-configure-run
> cd win32/installer
> make gtk2-installer
mqtracks

Post by mqtracks »

OK great. I made it and I have freeciv-2.5.99-dev-gtk2 running. I'll start playing with stdsounds.soundspec see what I can do. Are there other tags other than:
;music_start = ""
;music_european = ""
;music_classical = ""
;music_tropical = ""
;music_asian = ""
;music_babylonian = ""
;music_celtic = ""
;music_industrial = ""
;music_electricage = ""
;music_modern = ""
;music_postmodern = ""
? I'm missing some of the situations discussed in previous posts. On top of that, is it hard to assign multiple songs to the same tag so that it randomly selects one without ever repeating the same one?

BTW. I tried to add some music but I can't hear anything (although I do hear the sounds when units move).
";music_start = "stdsounds/freeciv-menu.ogg" ; [mqtx]" seems to be ignored.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

mqtracks wrote:? I'm missing some of the situations discussed in previous posts. On top of that, is it hard to assign multiple songs to the same tag so that it randomly selects one without ever repeating the same one?
These are things still to implement. We've just got the first patch of the series made.
mqtracks wrote:BTW. I tried to add some music but I can't hear anything (although I do hear the sounds when units move).
The ";" in the beginning of the line makes it a comment line which freeciv ignores. Try "music_start = "stdsounds/freeciv-menu.ogg" ; [mqtx]"

These are (for) now tied to city styles. It was quickest way to implement so that we get things at least started. That's going to change a bit in the future, but at the moment the tag names to play are defined as part of city style definitions in cities.ruleset.
mqtracks

Post by mqtracks »

cazfi wrote:
mqtracks wrote:? I'm missing some of the situations discussed in previous posts. On top of that, is it hard to assign multiple songs to the same tag so that it randomly selects one without ever repeating the same one?
These are things still to implement. We've just got the first patch of the series made.
OK. I'd say though that this has to be 1st priority because otherwise there is only one track for each game!
cazfi wrote:
mqtracks wrote:BTW. I tried to add some music but I can't hear anything (although I do hear the sounds when units move).
The ";" in the beginning of the line makes it a comment line which freeciv ignores. Try "music_start = "stdsounds/freeciv-menu.ogg" ; [mqtx]"
These are (for) now tied to city styles. It was quickest way to implement so that we get things at least started. That's going to change a bit in the future, but at the moment the tag names to play are defined as part of city style definitions in cities.ruleset.
Sweet. This is working now. We must find a way to so that I can send you the music files and you can test them too. As I was expecting there are clipping issues (sound exceeding the maximum amplitude) when loud noises add to the music mix. Bear in mind this too as an important thing for the future.

Keep up the good work!
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

mqtracks wrote:
cazfi wrote:
OK. I'd say though that this has to be 1st priority because otherwise there is only one track for each game!
I'd rather not extend the temporary solution of having music tied to city styles. In it's current form it allowed us to enable in-game music at all, but building it up there would mean extra work in doing it first one way, and later the other way. Unfortunately the proper way to do this takes a lot of work the get the foundation in place.
While testing this, you can use the editor to setup yourself to be able to gain the tech that transitions you to the next city style - and though I've not tested it specifically, giving the tech in editor should directly switch the music too. You can also modify the cities.ruleset to add new city_styles (with gfx identical to existing ones, but having new music tags).
mqtracks wrote:We must find a way to so that I can send you the music files and you can test them too.
Well, if you don't have specific reason not to, I'd say best way to proceed is that you create the tickets for adding the tracks yourself, and attach the track to that ticket: http://gna.org/patch/?func=additem&group=freeciv I guess category "art" will suffice for any form of art, so we don't need to add separate one for audio.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:Implementation of the new system is now tracked in patch #4487.
In case you have not been following that ticket (dependencies section especially), there's now three hadrdcoded menu-music tags "music_start" (should be renamed as it's playing always in the menu system, not only when the program is first launched), "music_voctory", and "music_defeat". Also the music styles framework is going forward nicely.
mqtracks

Post by mqtracks »

cazfi wrote:
mqtracks wrote:We must find a way to so that I can send you the music files and you can test them too.
Well, if you don't have specific reason not to, I'd say best way to proceed is that you create the tickets for adding the tracks yourself, and attach the track to that ticket: http://gna.org/patch/?func=additem&group=freeciv I guess category "art" will suffice for any form of art, so we don't need to add separate one for audio.
I can't attach the ogg file,they are too big... Suggestions?
"Note: upload size limit is set to 1024 kB, after insertion of the required escape characters."

I was a bit busy these two last weeks, but I hope to be contributing new tracks soon.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

mqtracks wrote:
cazfi wrote:
I can't attach the ogg file,they are too big... Suggestions?
"Note: upload size limit is set to 1024 kB, after insertion of the required escape characters."

I was a bit busy these two last weeks, but I hope to be contributing new tracks soon.
You could upload the file to MediaFire or DropBox and link there.
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Link to the ticket in question: patch #4562