HUGE GUI

Can you help improve your favourite game? Hardcore C mages, talented artists, and players with any level of experience are welcome!
Arbogast
Elite

HUGE GUI

Post by Arbogast »

With FreeCiv 2.4.1, I get the normal opening window of around 568x523 px.
But when I start or load a game I get this window which is 1697 px wide and the 'start' button is outside the screen. If I try to resize it and miss my shot, the window freezes and I must close the game via the the CTRL+ALT+SUP and start the game again.
Question is: Is there a way to control the screen resolution from within FreeCiv?
Attachments
Menu1.jpg
JTN
Elite

Re: HUGE GUI

Post by JTN »

Hm, I don't recall having ever seen this. I'm not sure I've actually tried 2.4.1 on Windows, but I don't recall seeing this with 2.4.0 and I'd be surprised if 2.4.1 were different.

In your chat window (the bit with all the "AI*1 has been removed from the game" chatter), if you scroll up, are there any particularly long lines of text or other oddness in there?
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I have tried to repeat the performance with no luck.
But from the look of things, this is a new game -the screenshot is a little while back- but I DO get it often. So there are not any funny lines in the Chat window.
As soon as I get a new WIDE screen, I'll get back to you.
Thanks
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Hi

I got it a while ago with the Gtk 2 client on Xfce, but the game didn't freeze. I think I was using the official Ubuntu (11.10?) packages.
It seems to be fixed for me now, either by a new Freeciv version or by using Kde.

Louis
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

OK! I tried loading clawsoon's game in windows freeciv 2.4.0 and I got this:
It's a paste up of the whole chat window and as you can see the game won't start. Maybe it's a Linux game?
Attachments
Menu.jpg
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:as you can see the game won't start. Maybe it's a Linux game?
Savegames (like all data files) are compatible between platforms. I assume you are just not taken any player (as you can see there is human player for user named "andrew"). Move pointer on top of one of the players (probably the "andrew" one already under human control), click roght mouse button to open context menu and select "Take player"
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Ah So! Will try, thank you. (I like the 'roght' word). :D
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Arbogast wrote:OK! I tried loading clawsoon's game in windows freeciv 2.4.0 and I got this:
Oh, good grief, it's probably that enormous description of the value of the "airliftingstyle" option that's causing the enormously wide window. (Which I guess must have come from Arbogast's client options here.)
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Hum... But it does not happen all the time... :roll:
Yeah, there are from me. But why do they happen?
I noticed that those long lines are 'wrap text', so it should not produce those extra long lines.
Anyway, it's a glitch from FreeCiv, not from me.