Can you help improve your favourite game? // GameLoss

Can you help improve your favourite game? Hardcore C mages, talented artists, and players with any level of experience are welcome!
cazfi
Elite

Re: Can you help improve your favourite game? // GameLoss

Post by cazfi »

Ĩmhotep wrote:
cazfi wrote:
Ĩmhotep wrote:I have some issues about the GameLoss, referring to version 2.4.99.
In the future, please tell the revision number too when referring to development versions.
Where can I see the revision number?
In your svn repository checkout:
> svn info

It also prints the revision you update to every time you do
> svn up
Ĩmhotep

Post by Ĩmhotep »

cazfi wrote:
Ĩmhotep wrote:I have some issues about the GameLoss, referring to version 2.4.99.
In the future, please tell the revision number too when referring to development versions.
<You may embed only 3 quotes within each other.>

Path: .
URL: svn://svn.gna.org/svn/freeciv/trunk
Repository Root: svn://svn.gna.org/svn/freeciv
Repository UUID: a0f10bec-cc02-0410-94fc-a9cfff90b4cd
Revision: 22214
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: cazfi
Last Changed Rev: 22213
Last Changed Date: 2013-01-27 12:08:53 +0100 (Sun, 27 Jan 2013)
pepeto

Post by pepeto »

Have you ever read the coding section of the Freeciv documentation, notably the subsection about coding style ? It can answer first questions...

Else, if you have some precise questions, you can post to the freeciv-dev mailing list, or there, or on the #freeciv-dev IRC channel (if someone still up there).
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

(Art subthread moved to Art subforum.)
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

I was just thinking about GameLoss-Civilwar-thing and came up with this: Maybe about half of the cities could join the player who killed the GameLoss unit, the other cities get to be controlled by allies of the dead player(if he has any), or become barbarian/pirate cities. This is just my idea though.
~ AVL
Ĩmhotep

Post by Ĩmhotep »

Caedo wrote:I was just thinking about GameLoss-Civilwar-thing and came up with this: Maybe about half of the cities could join the player who killed the GameLoss unit, the other cities get to be controlled by allies of the dead player(if he has any), or become barbarian/pirate cities. This is just my idea though.
I have been thinking about this before. Originally, when I tried to make a new modpack based on Ancients, I stumbled on an option "gameloss_style".
According to the comment, cities conquered from players still alive were given back to the previous owner. (So far, I found this already coded).
Depending on the parameter value, the remaining cities are either destroyed or fall to the hands of some barbarians.

On a local copy based on version 2.4.99-dev, revision 22214, I implemented some code to do this.

There is also code to have civil war (before any cities fall to barbarians or vanish without a trace).
The new player gets a palace of its own, and, a Leader (it would be unfair if the AI had no GameLoss unit to trigger all this features when we have chased them down).

Also, I coded some benefits for the player "who liberates the oppressed people from the enemy leader":

up to 3 techs are stolen

a random amount of gold is taken ("in compensation of the war efforts"), from 0 to the amount of gold the victim has had

using some interrogation, we press a (distorted) map from the captured leader

a random number of cities (about a quarter on average, with lesser probability on higher numbers) can be convinced to "join the righteous cause" of the victor

It worked on my copy on a few games, but probably has lots of yet unknown bugs (I'm new to the code and this is my first try).

Right now I have checked out the trunk with revision 22446 and I am trying to make my modpack work with the many changes that have occurred in between.

When I see that the modpack does well, I will try to apply the changes to the new revision to see if they still work.