Can you help improve your favourite game? // GameLoss

Can you help improve your favourite game? Hardcore C mages, talented artists, and players with any level of experience are welcome!
Ĩmhotep

Can you help improve your favourite game? // GameLoss

Post by Ĩmhotep »

As for me, I don't know yet, but I will try.

I have some issues about the GameLoss, referring to version 2.4.99.

1) When I lose my leader, my client just wont be able to interact with the server any more.
Maybe this feature is intended, but it seams especially strange when I am the only human player.
Is this a bug, or just an unintended feature?

2) When the GameLoss figure of an AI is killed, all the units, cities and everything else just vanishes as if it never had been.
It looks as if the enemy citizens, shocked by my victorious superiority, in total despair, take down their buildings, burn their cities and kill themselves.

Not really likely, and not much fun either. (No ransom gained, no techs to steal, no cities easily conquered, no maps of mysterious lands that fall into the hands my victorious armies,
not even slaves captured, to be paraded in triumph through the broad streets of my glorious capital, and then to be used as workers in the mines or to write documentation for the source-code (whichever fate would be worse)) ;-) .

I would really like the GameLoss feature to be augmented, such that when the leader dies, there is civil war (I have proposed some 5 additional lines of code to do that), and some random events inspired from what can happen when a city is conquered to what can be gained by diplomatic action,. (BTW, why isn't it possible to get a (possibly incomplete or distorted) map from the enemy after conquering a city?).

3) I have violated the modpack Ancients to create a modpack of my own. To give future human players some incentive to take a risk, the leader is now a military unit with non-zero attacking strength,.
Not quite to my satisfaction, this works also for the Ai players. They go and send their leader forth into dangerous situations (AI has more understanding of language, the unit is called LEADER, not HIDER,
so he leads into battle instead of hiding behind city walls and drinking wine and having all kinds of private fun).

As a boring kind of strategy against the AI, I have only to hide my GameLoss behind a city wall with some defensive units, and wait until the leaders of the AI players got themselves killed by each other or by the random barbarians.

From what I can see in the code (but I am far from understanding it properly) there are only very few lines that make AI aware of the GameLoss feature. Nothing to protect the own GameLoss figure, and nothing to make other GameLoss figures a preferred target.

The [[article about the AI | http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/AI_Documentation]] makes me think that it is not a shame having some trouble understanding the AI code.

~~~~
Ĩmhotep

GameLoss and civil war

Post by Ĩmhotep »

When civil war occurs, the new AI plaer does not have a GameLoss figure.

If someone could give me a hint on where to start I would like to try fixing it.
Ĩmhotep

GameLoss, AI and AIUNIT_DEFEND_HOME

Post by Ĩmhotep »

I did a little debugging to see what causes the AI Leaders to go out and take a fatal risk.

The unit_data->task was either None or Defend home, and, rarely, recover.
Defend home was also the state of the enemy hordes that swept against my borders..
A rather aggressive way to "defend home".

Is there anyone out there who can give me a hint on where to look, or possibly explain why "defend home" behaves in this way?
Ĩmhotep

A question to the gurus

Post by Ĩmhotep »

A question to the gurus: does

Code: Select all

dai_military_rampage
actually perform a game action or is it just a virtual calculation of outcome?

I stumbled across this when I tried to find solutions to the diverse gameloss-problems.
Ĩmhotep

Code proposals

Post by Ĩmhotep »

I had a look at some of the AI functions and could think of some code improvements.

Where is the best place to discus code proposals?

And is there anyone interested at all?
syntron

Re: Code proposals

Post by syntron »

Ĩmhotep wrote:I had a look at some of the AI functions and could think of some code improvements.

The active developer can be found here or - if you propose code - on gna.org. There, patches etc can be discussed.
Ĩmhotep

Anyone out there at all?

Post by Ĩmhotep »

syntron wrote:
Ĩmhotep wrote:I had a look at some of the AI functions and could think of some code improvements.

The active developer can be found here or - if you propose code - on gna.org. There, patches etc can be discussed.
Well up to now, your answer was the only response I've got here.
Back on the wiki cazfi was the one (and only) to give answers to my cries for help, but here, I am all alone.

So if the wiki is half dead, and the forum is not much more alive, how do I get in contact with the developers at gna.org?
What is the procedure to register or otherwise establish contact?
I have given away my email contacts now to two different locations and I have been getting excessive spam mails even before that already.

Now there's a third site yet to give away my data for registry, and why should I believe that on this new site there would be more real people willing to cooperate whit me, as an unknown new-by?

If 'YOU' are really organized so badly I feel inclined to have my own private fork and don't bother the time to ask questions to (possibly none-existing or unwilling) experts.

Greetings from Ĩnhotep,
("the one who comes in peace")
syntron

Re: Anyone out there at all?

Post by syntron »

Ĩmhotep wrote: Well up to now, your answer was the only response I've got here.
Back on the wiki cazfi was the one (and only) to give answers to my cries for help, but here, I am all alone.

So if the wiki is half dead, and the forum is not much more alive, how do I get in contact with the developers at gna.org?
What is the procedure to register or otherwise establish contact?
I have given away my email contacts now to two different locations and I have been getting excessive spam mails even before that already.

Now there's a third site yet to give away my data for registry, and why should I believe that on this new site there would be more real people willing to cooperate whit me, as an unknown new-by?

If 'YOU' are really organized so badly I feel inclined to have my own private fork and don't bother the time to ask questions to (possibly none-existing or unwilling) experts.

Greetings from Ĩnhotep,
("the one who comes in peace")
The number of developers for freeciv is limited. Thus, every help is welcome! Creating a fork would be no help - it would help more to focus all work on one point.

Did you try to send patch proposal to gna.org? It's the place there the patches for freeciv are listed. Have a look around and check some of the patches ...

I'm also quite sure that never the wiki site nor gna.org use your data to send spam!
cazfi
Elite

Re: Can you help improve your favourite game? // GameLoss

Post by cazfi »

As I told in wiki discussion, freeciv-dev mailing list is the place for freeciv development discussion. Or, gna.org patch & bug trackers, actually. Any updates to tickets there will be automatically sent to mailing list, and mailing list traffic consist of almost solely of those ticket updates.
So, for specific requests or patches create gna.org ticket (so the discussion about it is properly tracked by the ticket), for more generic development discussion send mail to mailing list directly.
Mailing lists: http://gna.org/mail/?group=freeciv From the bar on top of the page you can switch to bug or patch trackers too.
Ĩmhotep

Can I help improve your favourite game? Dosn't look like tha

Post by Ĩmhotep »

cazfi wrote:As I told in wiki discussion, freeciv-dev mailing list is the place for freeciv development discussion. Or, gna.org patch & bug trackers, actually. Any updates to tickets there will be automatically sent to mailing list, and mailing list traffic consist of almost solely of those ticket updates.
So, for specific requests or patches create gna.org ticket (so the discussion about it is properly tracked by the ticket), for more generic development discussion send mail to mailing list directly.
Mailing lists: http://gna.org/mail/?group=freeciv From the bar on top of the page you can switch to bug or patch trackers too.
If so, what is this forum, this thread, good for?

Why should I believe that those gurus or anyone else interested in advancing freeciv code are over there, purposefully ignoring any posts here or on the wiki?

You did very much help me and answered a lot of my (sometimes stupid) questions, and I thank you very much for that, and for your patience with me so far.

But when it comes up to understanding code, I haven't got any single answer, from no one.

What other people are over there, knowing more, having more spare time to reply?

When push comes to shove, the code is my only friend.

Yes I am new to the code.
Yes I do have simple (silly) questions
Yes I tend to be some kind of intensive, when I've got the smell of some suspicious piece of code, like a hound dog having got the smell of a rabbit.
Yes I sure have some offensive ideas about further developments.

So take me or leave me.

Make your choice, I'll make mine.

Greetings from the one who came in peace.