Throne room or palace plus music

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
charlieg

Throne room or palace plus music

Post by charlieg »

I like Freeciv, it's a really good project/game & I've played it for many years.

I do feel it lacks a little bit of the soul that made the original Civ 1/2 games so great. Have you considered a throne room or palace feature & adding music? Something to give it a little soul?
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Throne room or palace plus music

Post by Ignatus »

Not that it is in close developers' plans. The community is concentrated on gameplay related elements, that's why the graphics are, umm, rather old-fashioned, we still don't have even a pictogram for hospital, and no palace or talking heads have ever been here. I have once made a proposal that included potential ability of building a palace, but it's unlikely I'll ever code it myself and even more unlikely I'll draw the sprites.
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Ignatus wrote:Not that it is in close developers' plans. The community is concentrated on gameplay related elements, that's why the graphics are, umm, rather old-fashioned, we still don't have even a pictogram for hospital, and no palace or talking heads have ever been here. I have once made a proposal that included potential ability of building a palace, but it's unlikely I'll ever code it myself and even more unlikely I'll draw the sprites.
Definitely something that the developers should consider reaching out on if somebody is prepared to engage with artists. I'm sure you could create a thread on opengameart.org or elsewhere & get engagement on it.

I don't think the graphics are that basic. I do prefer the SDL2 interface (feels more game-like) though it seems that's not the priority.
Last edited by charlieg on Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

jwrober wrote:Music is done already - https://github.com/jwrober/SongOfDoom
Awesome. Any plans to distribute it with the game?
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

charlieg wrote:
jwrober wrote:Music is done already - https://github.com/jwrober/SongOfDoom
Awesome. Any plans to distribute it with the game?
Probably not. There are licensing differences. The game is GPL, the music is Creative Commons. The music set is CC because that is how the music is licensed by the creators.