Empire penalty

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
jpsm
Veteran

Empire penalty

Post by jpsm »

Please get rid of empire penalty, it does not make sense at all.
There are big countries in the world such as USA, Brazil, Russia and others and protests usually happen for reasons unrelated to the size of the country.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Empire penalty

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

I think the empire size penalty is less about realism and more about balance – there's got to be some cost for having more cities.
~ AVL
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

Caedo wrote:I think the empire size penalty is less about realism and more about balance – there's got to be some cost for having more cities.
When you update building construction queue with a new building when a new tech is discovered (such as put factory in the queue of all cities when industrialization is discovered) this take some time. Sometimes I saved the game to doing that at other moment, this actually prevented me to found more cities to not make this overwhelming.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

jpsm wrote:
Caedo wrote:I think the empire size penalty is less about realism and more about balance – there's got to be some cost for having more cities.
When you update building construction queue with a new building when a new tech is discovered (such as put factory in the queue of all cities when industrialization is discovered) this take some time. Sometimes I saved the game to doing that at other moment, this actually prevented me to found more cities to not make this overwhelming.
You can go to the Cities report (F4), select all cities and use the Production menu, e.g. after discovering Radio, you can do Production > Add 2nd last > Improvements > Airport to add it to the production queue of all selected cities 2nd last (so that whatever you had as the last item, e.g. coinage, caravans or some other unit you want to mass-produce, stays there).

Also, even if that wasn't an option – having to do more work managing more cities is at worst a hassle, but it doesn't fundamentally affect gameplay; in a turn-based game, you have an arbitrary amount of time to do all that managing. It doesn't cost anything more in the game itself, so it cannot balance out the advantage of having more cities.
~ AVL
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

jpsm wrote:Please get rid of empire penalty, it does not make sense at all.
There are big countries in the world such as USA, Brazil, Russia and others and protests usually happen for reasons unrelated to the size of the country.
This is a FEATURE of the civ * genre (all fc rulesets that I know of AND Civ I). Asking for the removal of a key feature just because you don't like it is quite inappropriate. If you want your own ruleset then make your own ruleset. The parameters in this case are Empire_Size_Base and Empire_Size_Step and are located in effects.ruleset.