Missile bombard combination

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
soundnfury

Missile bombard combination

Post by soundnfury »

In 3.0 it appears that units with "Bombarder" flag and "Missile" unitclass flag are not destroyed after completing a bombard attack. (In 3.1, AFAICT from the announcements, there's a "Suicide Attack" action but not a "Suicide Bombard".)

I would like to have a V2 unit in my ruleset, which is a bombardment missile: not accurate enough to kill or even deeply damage an individual unit, but just a long-range way to indiscriminately damage all a city's garrison. Unfortunately, when I tested this, the unit survived its attack, despite being a Missile.
Creator of the Aviation ruleset. Try it out today!
louis94
Hardened

Re: Missile bombard combination

Post by louis94 »

Combine OneAttack with fuel to make sure it dies anyway?
soundnfury

Post by soundnfury »

louis94 wrote:Combine OneAttack with fuel to make sure it dies anyway?
I thought of that, but what if it's on a base or carrier? Or in a city and targeting an invading stack just outside?
Creator of the Aviation ruleset. Try it out today!
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

soundnfury wrote:
louis94 wrote:Combine OneAttack with fuel to make sure it dies anyway?
I thought of that, but what if it's on a base or carrier? Or in a city and targeting an invading stack just outside?
Good points.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

I have already requested a Lua callback to handle bombardment result, but it's not done yet... Well, if we decide to make it by Lua, we can try this: make a normal attack missile unit (not necessary missile but AI will use it better), on "action_started_unit_unit" callback of its attack we remove the unit, create another one bombarding, :move() it towards the target provoking bombardment and then kill the new unit. I hope it works.