Improving Monarchy...

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
drgerg
Veteran

Improving Monarchy...

Post by drgerg »

Historically, sometimes a monarchy would end and the throne/title would be given to a neighboring king, so that the person would be the ruler of two kingdoms. Note, the two kingdom would NOT be merged into one “country”.

I am suggesting that every 50 to 500 years that there be the opportunity for a leader of one monarchy to become the leader of two monarchies. While this was never in Sid’s version of the game, I think it would improve the chances of a monarchy to survive as a viable form of government.

Let’s look at Charles V: using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_V ... ror#Titles, look at this list: Emperor of the Romans, forever August, King of Germany, King of Italy, King of all Spains, of Castile, Aragon, León, of Hungary, of Dalmatia, of Croatia, Navarra, Grenada, Toledo, Valencia, Galicia, Majorca, Sevilla, Cordova, Murcia, Jaén, Algarves, Algeciras, Gibraltar, the Canary Islands, King of Two Sicilies, of Sardinia, Corsica, King of Jerusalem, King of the Indies, of the Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea. And there’s an equally long list of dukeships. Yes some of these titles were acquired through conquest, but others were through marriage. He was the grandson of Isabela and Ferdinand of Spain who equally brought a lot of kingships to their offspring.

There’s also the end of the Duchy of Burgundy with Mary of Burgundy (info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_of_Burgundy). Wikipedia mentions two suitors: Archduke Maximilian of the Hapsburgs, King Louis of France; and believe King Henry Of England was also interested. Anyway, she chose Maximilian, and according to Wikipedia this “ initiated two centuries of contention between France and the Habsburgs”. That sounds like freeciv to me.

I haven’t given much thought as how this would be implemented in game. First, there’s the actual event itself, the “marriage”. But the larger issue is the subsequent turns, how does one player manage two countries?

Thoughts, ideas, comments are appreciated.
drgerg
Veteran

Re: Improving Monarchy...

Post by drgerg »

This idea is only meant for single player games, and yes in harder games, two AI countries could have one ruler, or a ruler of an AI country could “marry” the ruler of player’s country.