Worker speed effect

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Ignatus
Elite

Worker speed effect

Post by Ignatus »

Currently, worker's speed is hardcoded as (basic unit type movepoints)*(veteran strength bonus). Maybe this should be effect-controlled. In CivIII, for example, there is no Engineers; just workers work twice faster with knowing Engineering and twice slower during anarchy.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Worker speed effect

Post by cazfi »

While waiting worker task speed to be separated from general move speed, there's Move_Bonus effect.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

cazfi wrote:While waiting worker task speed to be separated from general move speed, there's Move_Bonus effect.
It does not affect worker speed. The same unit during the game can have different number of mp but it always (unless promoted) works at the same speed, that's what I talk about.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Ignatus wrote:
cazfi wrote:While waiting worker task speed to be separated from general move speed, there's Move_Bonus effect.
It does not affect worker speed. The same unit during the game can have different number of mp but it always (unless promoted) works at the same speed, that's what I talk about.
I think you're mistaken. There is just one movement speed defined, that is used for all unit activities, be it movement or work.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Oh, I checked the code, and turns out you are right. That's a bit of a mess (unit can use some movement and still work to the max, but if it uses all of its movement to reach the site it can't work at all - so the working ability both is and isn't tied to movement left)
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Btw in CivIII (don't know about other parts) work points are exactly the same as move points (except the way they accumulate). If your roads are very cheap and your worker is very fast, you can road several tiles per turn.