sometimes a turn is skipped

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Grumbler

sometimes a turn is skipped

Post by Grumbler »

it happens very occasionally and is hard to reproduce, but it sometimes happens to me that a new turn comes, i'm reading the messages, and before i'm finished already the next turn appears with its new messages, without me moving any unit or clicking "end of turn" or something.

that skipped turn *does* create an auto-save, and sure enough (if i happen to notice the effect, it's not always so obvious) i can load it and play from there, confirming that indeed i missed a turn, but it's annoying.

does this happen to anyone else?

i'm certain this is a bug. is it known? i'm not sure what i can do to help catch the bug. any log file?
Ignatus
Elite

Re: sometimes a turn is skipped

Post by Ignatus »

What version is it? Do you use turn time limit?
Grumbler

Post by Grumbler »

version 2.6.0, gui-gtk-3.0, civ2civ3 ruleset (i think it also happened with the default ruleset)

seems like a high-level error, could also be in those lua scripts.

i do not use a time limit, but indeed an "ETA" timer is showing counting from ~2 minutes down when the map is large and the AI moves take a while and the CPU runs hot. ;)
The timer disappears again when AIs are done, and I have control again.

But this bug happens independently from that timer. If it happens, it happens well before those 2 minutes have run out, and if it doesn't, I have all the time in the world to make my moves.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Never got such issue with turn skipping, but I can confirm (at least for 2.6), that playing long on Gtk client (for several consecutive turns) cause overall lag in case of weak computer. The larger game is, the further lag come after even few turns.
I switched to Qt client problem solved (BTW, Qt for version 2.6 is much better than previous one).
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

Is this the problem identified (and fixed) in this thread
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

Has this been solved yet ?
I also had this kind of issue.

Do you use the goto option (G key) ?
It often happened to me that a turn gets skipped because of it, was with 2.5.9. Sometimes units doing their move will erroneously end the turn as if they were the last unit to move. Everything is done correctly, except that you're not given a chance to move - like with a premature click on "end of turn".
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

meynaf wrote:end the turn as if they were the last unit to move.
Ah, so you have "End turn when done moving" setting enabled? That might be a factor, and explain why most people are not seeing the problem.
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

cazfi wrote: Ah, so you have "End turn when done moving" setting enabled? That might be a factor, and explain why most people are not seeing the problem.
Yes i have this setting enabled.
In addition, the problem does not always happen, which doesn't help. I do not know what the exact conditions are. Only sure thing is that it is linked with goto option.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

It would be good if you could report it to the issue tracker: https://osdn.net/projects/freeciv/ticket
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

cazfi wrote:It would be good if you could report it to the issue tracker: https://osdn.net/projects/freeciv/ticket
I could, but i don't have an account there and don't necessarily want to create one. I had one at hostedredmine.com but it already felt weird.
Besides, I'm afraid it will not be very useful without a good reproduction scenario. And it could have been reported and/or fixed already. No time to check this.
That said, if you want to have it reported you can do it yourself -- all the information i have is there on this thread...