Cannot prolong armistice in time

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Grumbler

Cannot prolong armistice in time

Post by Grumbler »

so, often i have an armistice with an AI and it runs out when i happen to have an explorer or so on their territory

more often than not, the explorer gets attacked before i can prolong the treaty.

if i try to prolong the treaty one turn *before* it runs out, i can only select and "upgrade" like peace, but the AI mostly won't agree unless giving them a lot of stuff.

*after* the armistice runs out i can without problems set up a new armistice, but i've already lost my explorer.

so there seems to be no way to prevent one turn of war.

i doubt this gameplay mechanic ought to be designed like that on purpose? seems more like an oversight?
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Cannot prolong armistice in time

Post by Ignatus »

The AI has a lot of stupidities compensated with cheating abilities. This is far from the biggest. But yes, AI has a function for diplomatic state desirability and if it wants more peaceful relation it better should not kill your units. But OTOH if it not offers you peace it does not want it very much, try building some warriors.
Grumbler

Post by Grumbler »

no, that has not much to do with AI, but with gameplay mechanics.

as said, these are the cases where the AI *will* agree to armistice (or cease-fire) without any tribute, but the game doesn't let me avoid a short state of war inbetween turns when that AI moves.

a proposed fix would be that i need to be able to prolong the current diplomatic state before it runs out.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

In my opinion, such behavior is fine and fair, if we consider how human player can abuse AI diplomatic treaties.
Other things deserves to be fixed: currently, if AI offer cease fire, I can kill several units/grab cities, and then agree.
AI should cancel diplomatic agreement in case of any hostilities.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Grumbler

Post by Grumbler »

i don't think it's fine and fair because it doesn't contribute to a genuine rewarding gameplay experience, but rather to "boilerplate gameplay", if you know what i mean.

if AI is stupid don't try to fix the symptoms. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Well, let me rephrase my idea.
Of course, AI killing your unit and then proposing you treaty doesn't fit into "look&feel" of the game and deserve to be fixed,
but it should work fair for both sides - another fix for AI able to cancel pending treaty if you killing its units should also be applied.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047