Skirmishers attack

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Wahazar
Elite

Skirmishers attack

Post by Wahazar »

currently we have duel type of attack, where two units are fighting until one (or more in case of kill stack) would die,
or bombard attack, where attacked units are hurt but not die, whereas attacking unit is not affected at all.
Usually bombard attack is considered to be too much powerful, especially because it reveal troops inside city without loss of such reconnaissance unit, and most of rulesets reserve it for more advanced ships or airplanes.

I propose third version of attack (either defined by flag or possible to chose from menu) - skirmish attack.
In such case, attacking unit is fighting one round with each of defending units, and both units can be wounded
(and killed, if their hp will be drained to 0).
Such attack can reveal units in city (it is the main purpose of skirmish tactics) and wound units in stack,
while being more fair than bombard-type attack, because attacker can be also affected, so it can be used for early units as well.

By the way, in case of bombard attack, does fractional move points or decreased health of attacker affect bombard efficiency?
It should, in my opinion.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Skirmishers attack

Post by Corbeau »

Unfortunately it doesn't.

As for skirmish attack, I agree completely, And the ideal option would be "choose type of attack", but a new flag would work, too. Also, I think some parts of it are implementable in 3.0 or 3.1, where you can define the number of turns a unit will attack. I haven't checked, I hope it can be defined individually, for each unit, and not only for the whole game.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Skirmishers attack

Post by Ignatus »

Corbeau wrote:Also, I think some parts of it are implementable in 3.0 or 3.1, where you can define the number of turns a unit will attack. I haven't checked, I hope it can be defined individually, for each unit, and not only for the whole game.
Yes, there is a unit-specific effect.
Wahazar wrote:By the way, in case of bombard attack, does fractional move points or decreased health of attacker affect bombard efficiency?
Bombarders have "tired attack" like all other units, their health does not affect their strength but something could be done about it with "DefendBonus" effect with "MinHitPoints" req (and "MinMoveFrags", if you want other way movepoints affect the strength).