Qt feature request

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
mir3x
Veteran

Re: Qt feature request: Lock Interface button

Post by mir3x »

Current state looks like attached pic.
Any comments, better icons, post.
There is still no tax rates, and no indicator icons.
Units icon is replaced by current unit icon if active.
Attachments
a.png
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Made this tonight. Quite not in line with the usual Freeciv style… It's better viewed on a dark background.
GPLv2+ "binary"
GPLv2+ "binary"
map.png (25.84 KiB) Viewed 8546 times
Attachments
map.kra.gz
GPLv2+ "source code" (unzip to open with Krita)
(141.77 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
mir3x
Veteran

Post by mir3x »

This is updated.
Not sure what color use to draw information.
Units icon (visible on previous pic ) looks not good.

mouse actions would be:
left click to open report.
units:
right click to center on current unit.
whell to focus next/prev units
nations:
right click - to open diplomacy meeting if any ( background will be changed to enemy flag then instead dark)
tax rates will use left click only to show new double valued slider, no wheel used.
indicators will have one big tooltip, instead 4
right click to popup revolution menu

In reports where right click is not assigned it would be show map - eg u click eco report, then u fast close with right, no need to move mouse up and search View icon.
Attachments
a.jpg
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Random troughs:
- :!: The layout will be to high on devices with screen height < 1024px (768 is common on laptops)
- Icons look blurry (except "cities" and "nations") and info sprites. Are they somehow resized ? Or is it just JPEG compression ?
- Somewhat related, the resized terrain sprite may look weird in some configurations (esp. resources). Keep aspect ratio ?
- :?: How does it look when a report is open ?
- :idea: I'd remove the parenthesis round the turn number (like "HP:", "MP:") and maybe add "Y:" before the year and "G:" before gold.
- :idea: Units: maybe left click could show a menu with all selected units/units on current tile, with an entry at the top to open the report (I use it very rarely). Similar to how Qt Creator behaves.
- Nations: in general, I'm against right click as the only way to do something, because it's not very discoverable
- :?: I'm worried about long unit/tech names (in French the long "Stealth Bomber" becomes longer "Bombardier furtif")
- :?: What's the green rectangle around Nations ?

Louis
mir3x
Veteran

Post by mir3x »

Attached smaller screenshot, 1035 x 785
sidebar is 100 pixels maximum or 10% of map if eg map would be 700px width, then sidebar 70px.
Blurry bc it was jpeg image, attached new png.

>> Keep aspect ratio
Maybe I'll leave it for later for some patches

>> I'd remove the parenthesis round the turn number (like "HP:", "MP:") and maybe add "Y:" before the year and "G:" before gold.
I'll remove before parenthesis turn
It would be nice to add tax sprite before gold amount, but thats another custom painting widget.

>> Units: maybe left click could show a menu with all selected units/units on current tile, with an entry at the top to open the report (I use it very rarely)
Idk, I'll keep it simple for now.

>> I'm worried about long unit/tech names (in French the long "Stealth Bomber" becomes longer "Bombardier furtif")
That yellow text is one liner, so it will be cut anyway.
On smaller sidebar long techs will look strange ...

>> What's the green rectangle around Nations ?
This is hover ( there is hiding mouse cursor somewhere over it)

>> Nations: in general, I'm against right click as the only way to do something, because it's not very discoverable
Yeah, diplomacy meetings will popup on top ( I'll add option to popup in background) but what to do if user change to map view then keeping diplomacy window open. He must reopen it somehow.

I attached also another pic with smallest window possible and sidebar scrolled to 10%.
Seems longer tech text will have cut text.
Attachments
a3.png
a2.png
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Looks good ! Some more items:
- Change the background of the button for the current report (it's an enhanced tab bar after all)
- Change the background on mouse over
- Spaceship ?
- Hopefully the F1-F6 keys still work

>> On smaller sidebar long techs will look strange
Use hyphenation (edit: harder than I thought. QFontMetrics::elidedText with Qt::ElideMiddle would do with custom painting) and add a tooltip. And for units too :-)

>> another custom painting widget
Use sprite_button or QLabel::setPixmap

Louis
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

louis94 wrote:- Nations: in general, I'm against right click as the only way to do something, because it's not very discoverable
Also hard to make with stylus ;-)

Though I don't know if the Qt-client is in general suitable for mobile devices, how well it adjusts to small window sizes. I've done some work to make gtk3-client to work on 640x480, and sdl-clients are, I think, originally designed with that size screens in mind. One would think that code-wise Qt-widgets work nicely for rearrangements for small (or even 'tiny' as gtk-client terminology puts them) displays.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

cazfi wrote:Though I don't know if the Qt-client is in general suitable for mobile devices, how well it adjusts to small window sizes.
I was recently playing with 2.6 Qt client on a netbook at 1024x600; it was pretty painful, even in full-screen, mainly because the city dialog didn't fit on the screen vertically.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

I like how the Cities icon plays with the dark background, so I made a few more. The Nations one isn't very good, I can make better if you're interested :)
I'm not sure the Amplio tiles would play very well with these, though.
Attachments
GPLv2+ — I'll post the &quot;source&quot; .kra if asked to
GPLv2+ — I'll post the "source" .kra if asked to
mir3x
Veteran

Post by mir3x »

I added patch so u can test icons, if they fit nicely.
Units icons looks very nice (rest too)
Idk if we make all icons in such mood, it might be too gloomy.

https://gna.org/patch/index.php?7617