Militia units?

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Lachu
Elite

Militia units?

Post by Lachu »

I have an idea about introducing very weak unit, but strong if fight near homecity. Also, partisan unit will have bonus on owner territory + on city it was built territory. This makes sense, because at start of civilizations we have barbarians and civilized world, where barbarians attacking civilized world. The idea adding realism to game, because militia will be used to protect only. Also, militia could increase happiness of citizens in each government, because it will be used to reduce crime.

It makes also sense to make partisan have increase combat bonus on player's territory + on city it was built territory, because this unit was used to get player's cities back.
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Militia units?

Post by Ignatus »

When partisans appear, it's already another player's territory. Partisans that appear are "homeless" units without built city (but it would be interesting to hang their support on the enemy, there seem to be few hardcoded rules that city and unuts share nationality!). In theory there could be bonuses baded on city original founder and population nationality, but they are not yet coded.

About militia, I support this idea. Or make conscripts like in Civ3 or city self-defense like in Civ5, for analogous emergency defence situations. I don't think it's particulary reasonable against barbarians in the early game, barbarians are mostly harmless and just remind you that not all your neighbours will stay pacifists forever.