An idea for a good ruleset

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Bronze

Re: An idea for a good ruleset

Post by Bronze »

Oh my, this is going to be one long post...
Firstly, thank you for your opinions.
Lachu, I will think about the the idea with Oil. I do not keep up with the latest Civilization games, for one reason - Freeciv. While you are right that I got the idea from somewhere else, I didn't get it from plans for Civ VI.

Corbeau, I shall do my very best to find the Simulation ruleset and play it. I agree that one must maintain a balance between realism and playability for an enjoyable game. We only differ in where we want the line to be drawn. I have played Civ 1, though not Civ 2. Believe me, if I could push through all the ideas that I had at the beginning, then our dear lovely team of programming geniuses who write the code for Freeciv itself would have had to overhaul the whole game engine! As it is, I am limiting my ideas to things that I THINK (emphasis on think) can be done with the Freeciv game engine, version 2.6.0.
As for whether more realism makes the game better or not, well, we won't know until we test it out!
Trust me, adding terrain types and units are the least of my proposals...
History is the study of how the actions of a few important people affected millions of unimportant people and a lot of VERY important statistics. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Bronze

Post by Bronze »

Again, I agree that the number of meaningful combinations of the three values is stiflingly limited. But I think you miss the point of me adding Boreal Forest. Also, Wetland Forest and Jungle are two different terrains. To further explain, we have:
Point five: Terrain Alterations (Part 1)
First off, the Transform command will only be applicable to turning Grassland or Swamps into Ocean or Lake and turning Ocean or Lake into Swamp and turning Tundra into Boreal Forest. This will be available with Explosives. Any other Transform command will only become applicable with Nuclear Fission.
Besides that, we have the following table:
Boreal Forest (irrigate) Tundra (transform) Boreal Forest
Forest (irrigate) Plains (mine) Forest
Jungle (irrigate) Grassland (mine) Jungle
Wetland Forest (irrigate) Swamp (mine) Wetland Forest

Now, if one irrigates a Swamp, the result will not be Grassland. It will be irrigated Swamp. (This is so in Civ2Civ3 ruleset if I am not mistaken.) Irrigated Swamp can then have Farmland built on it too. Without specials, rivers or canals, the output would be 3,0,0.

Also, any forest, when mined, will not transform into another terrain. Instead, Lumber will be built. (This grants +1 Production, just like in Civ2Civ3 Earth.)
History is the study of how the actions of a few important people affected millions of unimportant people and a lot of VERY important statistics. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Bronze

Post by Bronze »

I have seen the Simulation ruleset thread just now. Suffice it to say, I will spend a long time studying the ruleset and, once I get around to buying a non-Windows Mobile device, I will play with it as well. I remember having read in a thread somewhere in this forum about how the fact that it is relatively easy to alter terrain disrupts the immersion that the author of that post felt in the game. Discovering that the Amazon rainforest had become the Amazon grasslands or that the Himalayas, the highest mountains in the world, had been reduced to mere puny hills by roughly the Great War era was jarring for him. It was so for me as well when I was playing as Japan in the 500x250 world map and discovered that much of the Siberian tundra had become the Siberian plains and supported ridiculously overpopulated cities. I aim to limit that as far as I can. By the way, there is a small change in Point three, specifically in the Mining section. Tundra should now be listed there as well.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

By the way, changing the terrain.ruleset into something more to your liking is one of the easiest things about rulesets. Just open the file, you'll be able to understand everything immediately.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Bronze

Post by Bronze »

Yeah, there is a problem with that.
I used to play Freeciv on my Android device. Granted, it was rooted, so the required files would probably have been available to me. However, a week or so ago, that wonderful device went kaput. Getting a new Android phone will take a month at the very least. Till then, I am stuck with this unspeakably horrible Windows phone. Also, I anticipate that this project would require a lot of option-testing, trial-and-erroring and playtesting, which altogether means a LOT of time. I figured that splitting the work between me and those who are interested would save quite some time, n'est-ce pas? Finally, I am beyond horrible at drawing stuff on any mobile or computer. So, I'd definitely need the help of people adept at tileset making.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Well, those who are interested, willing and able already have their own ideas and projects ;) And, like I said, editing the terrain.ruleset is the simplest thing there can ever be. Just open the file for yourself, you'll see what I mean.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Bronze

Post by Bronze »

You know what, I'll do it now.
Tell me of a place where I can download all the files of the default ruleset.
Bronze

Post by Bronze »

Why the default ruleset? Simple, because I want a blank slate to build up from.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

I thought you have it installed on your phone and you can check the version you are playing?

Ok, anyway, this is where you can view most "official and public" standard rulesets and tilesets.

https://github.com/freeciv/freeciv/tree/master/data

What you are looking for is probably "Classic" so just click on that and then on the file you want to check (like terrain.ruleset).

If you want to edit and play with it, then you must download it to your computer.
--
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

BTW, if you want to join a pretty lively community, check this one:

http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=91094

If you just want to play solo, you may not be interested in it. But if you are interested in community events, this is as far as it gets.
--