my list of feature requests

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
meynaf
Hardened

Re: my list of feature requests

Post by meynaf »

GriffonSpade wrote: Yeah, but with rockets? Voyager 1 took 36 years just to reach the edge of the solar system! 40+ years (10% of the speed of light?) would probably make more sense. And give everyone else enough time to kill you.
Voyager 1 does not have constant thrust and travels with its initial speed. A mere 1G push gives 9.8 m/s for each second (equal to Earth gravity). Means that - not counting relativity effects - you reach 50% of light speed after around 180 days (if i computed right ;)).
But, true, in the game a longer time would be more playable, as currently the "space race" is more or less a joke.

GriffonSpade wrote: And solar panels, while providing very little power, might be enough to be cost effective over years.
Very little power ? Do you think microwatts, if not picowatts, are enough to power a space ship holding 10,000 to 40,000 people ?
Solar panels are useless if there is no sun (hence the word "solar").
Nuclear generators would make more sense.
But, hey, the game has always been this way and has so many inconsistencies with reality we can't count them.

GriffonSpade wrote: Specifically, we have Map_Known, Spaceship_Launched, Multicultural, Literate, Cultured_City, Cultured_Nation, Lucky, Huts, Metropolis, Land_Ahoy. At least in 2.6.
Where are these documented (if anywhere) ?
GriffonSpade
Elite

Re: my list of feature requests

Post by GriffonSpade »

meynaf wrote:Very little power ? Do you think microwatts, if not picowatts, are enough to power a space ship holding 10,000 to 40,000 people ?
Solar panels are useless if there is no sun (hence the word "solar").
Nuclear generators would make more sense.
But, hey, the game has always been this way and has so many inconsistencies with reality we can't count them.
Nuclear power has its own issues, mostly heat dissipation. And if you assume everyone is in cryosleep, the energy costs go waaaaay down.
Though, a non-reactive nuclear battery would probably be better.
meynaf wrote:Where are these documented (if anywhere) ?
Very unironically, in the documentation. :P
Specifically, in the Install-Location/docs/README.achievements (open it with a chosen text editor)

Hmm. It does not appear to be on the wiki anywhere.