1. Ruleset-flexible combat; 2. Bombarding duels

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Corbeau
Elite

1. Ruleset-flexible combat; 2. Bombarding duels

Post by Corbeau »

Right now combat happens in turns and ends "when one of the opponents is dead".

Instead, make it possible to have N rounds of combat. "N" will be defined in the ruleset, either globally, for a unit class or for each individual unit. Maybe even depending on terrain (combat ends sooner in forest because it's easier to disengage or safely retreat).

For N=0 combat ends as before, "when one of the combatants dies".

When a unit with a "Bombarder" flag attacks a unit or a stack containing another unit with a "Bombarder" flag, a duel occurs with both units receiving damage or neding up destroyed. Other units in the stack that is attacked receive less or no damage (counter-artillery).
Last edited by Corbeau on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
meynaf
Hardened

Re: 1. Ruleset-flexible combat; 2. Bombarding duels

Post by meynaf »

Corbeau wrote:1.

Right now combat happens in turns and ends "when one of the opponents is dead".

Instead, make it possible to have N rounds of combat. "N" will be defined in the ruleset, either globally, for a unit class or for each individual unit. Maybe even depending on terrain (combat ends sooner in forest because it's easier to disengage or safely retreat).

For N=0 combat ends as before, "when one of the combatants dies".
+1 for this one

Would make fights look more like real battles, rather than being a bunch of duels.
Instead of fixed N rounds of combat, I would suggest the duration depends on how hard the battle is and the strength of the units. For example, it would end after a total of 15 HP are removed from the units (like unit 1 losing 5 while unit 2 loses 10).
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

meynaf wrote:Instead of fixed N rounds of combat, I would suggest the duration depends on how hard the battle is and the strength of the units. For example, it would end after a total of 15 HP are removed from the units (like unit 1 losing 5 while unit 2 loses 10).
That's pretty much what a round of combat is. Every round, either the attacker or defender loses health. Though it can actually be more than 1 since it depends on the Firepower attribute.
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

GriffonSpade wrote: That's pretty much what a round of combat is. Every round, either the attacker or defender loses health. Though it can actually be more than 1 since it depends on the Firepower attribute.
Yes ! So the idea is to have a fixed maximum number of combat rounds per turn so that the fight can be several turns long.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

meynaf wrote:Yes ! So the idea is to have a fixed maximum number of combat rounds per turn so that the fight can be several turns long.
Please open a feature ticket to http://www.hostedredmine.com/projects/f ... issues/new. This sounds like something that might be realistically doable.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

WOW! Like this, we are going to finally support CivIII combat? The suggestion is not perfectly about it, but it's a logical development of the idea. For me, any way for units to have chances to retreat from a battle sounds nice. (I would also prefer to have the morale factor, dependent on government, vet. rank, health and happiness, which defines in what cases a unit will try to retreat or desert).
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Ignatus wrote:(I would also prefer to have the morale factor, dependent on government, vet. rank, health and happiness, which defines in what cases a unit will try to retreat or desert).
There is no retreatin in Civ, but I have made a ruleset where veteran levels depend on government at the time when the unit was created. Check here:

http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75385

It is likely that LT42 will be played with this ruleset.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Opened a ticket a while ago and yesterday I got an automated mail:
Issue #729194 has been updated by Marko Lindqvist.

File 0066-Add-server-setting-combatrounds.patch added
Status changed from New to Resolved

Attached patch implements something like that as a server setting.

Veterancy can be gained even if the combat does not end to the total defeat of one side. In fact, it's even possible that both sides gain veterancy in such a combat.

(...)

* Target version: 3.1.0
So, can someone explain the details of this?

If I got it right, the patch got implemented somewhere, but where and how?

Also, if I'm not mistaking, it is implemented as a server setting, not ruleset setting, same for all units?
--
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote:Opened a ticket a while ago and yesterday I got an automated mail:
File 0066-Add-server-setting-combatrounds.patch added
The patch is attached to the ticket ( https://www.hostedredmine.com/issues/729194 )

Though it says "Resolved" it's only at review at the moment. It will be pushed to freeciv repository sometime after 36h review period.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Thank you for trying to explain, but please keep in mind that you are answering to a complete layman :) So, what does that mean? Whenever "it" happens, will it mean that the feature is an integral part of the Freeciv package and which version?
--