Civ V

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Prof_Birch

Civ V

Post by Prof_Birch »

Freeciv already has the major underpinnings for switching to a Civ V style layout, most notably the ability to use Hex tiles. Is there anything stopping a person from making tile sets, themes and sounds to bring freeciv up to date? To me I feel like its just a matter of preventing stacked units, and overhauling graphics (can we upload moving graphics?) but I am not experienced with it.

I would certainly be happy to contribute if it's feasible, but does that go against the whole underlying game engine?

I see there is a debate about things like deathstacks, but even something as simple as a graphics and UI overhaul could go a long way.

Also, what about adding a religion element?
Lachu
Elite

Re: Civ V

Post by Lachu »

There's a work to bring support for 3D graphics. Freeciv-Web client allows to play with 3D graphics. Making game CivV compatible will be probably a big task - there's no city-states support, puppet-cities nor moving units across the river without transport, etc.

You must know, that adding missing is not only think to have to done before announce full CivV compatibility, because there will exist new AI problems. I can tell, I am creating my own game based on Freeciv, but I tend to not support playing with AI.
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Civ V

Post by Ignatus »

Well, web-playing is a great fun but not everybody can find a partner every time he wants to play (especially if a turn in a day is not what he wants). AIs have gone long way ahead since Freeciv or even CivV were released. There are loads of free neuron net packages over the web. If old and badly documented AI is a big trouble for development (and I see it is), that would not be too difficult to bolt one of them to the server as a client, explain it the basic rules and goals and train by autoplay on any existing or new rules for some thousands games. This have already been done once; the result was monstrously hard but it was a professional solution with great resources, we can just introduce resource limits of different severity. (Well, some people were against neural solutions but maybe it's just the simplest way to get new AI in a reasonable time and better simpler then clever).