Ideas from CivIV

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Lachu
Elite

Ideas from CivIV

Post by Lachu »

Yesterday, I've bought Civilization IV license and play on it. I'm in early state of game, but quite ideas should be interesting:
1. Discoverable resources
When build mine by workers, there's small chance to discover iron, etc. Of course, you should add flag to each tile, where mine was build in past
2. Reduced city improvements count
You can build for example two piece of road per city. This is related by city size and possibly by buildings. We must think how to avoid bugs, because somebody could pillage improvement, etc. Should we remember do which city worker belongs, who build improvement? In my opinion, it would cost too many of RAM.

I'd also notice there's barbarian animals in CivIV.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Ideas from CivIV

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

In current dev versions of Freeciv, it's possible to give certain extras (including resources) a visibility_req (currently only a technology), which makes them invisible to any player that doesn't have that tech. That doesn't (yet) allow for what you are suggesting, but I'd reckon it could be extended to a full requirement vector in the future.
As for terrain improvements being limited based on nearby cities, that's probably still far away, since there is no mechanic currently in place to connect the two of them at all.

As for animals, see my post in the other thread.
~ AVL
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Caedo wrote:In current dev versions of Freeciv, it's possible to give certain extras (including resources) a visibility_req (currently only a technology), which makes them invisible to any player that doesn't have that tech.
Great, it's one of the C-evo ideas I still miss in Freeciv: In C-evo players cannot see or use Uranium, IIRC, until they have some required tech. I also like hidden resources, showing up only if the terrain is transformed, e.g., there can be hidden whales in a lake only showing up if the lake is connected with an ocean, i.e., if it loses the freshwater flag. The opposite ocean to lake feature does not work at the moment, maybe a regression from 2.4 (HRM #692487).

Arctic oil destroyed by global warming or terraforming (tundra has no mines) and resurrected by more global warming or terraforming as desert oil is another potential hidden resource (= hidden while it's tundra). The map editor does not yet support to hide resources, and there's no how-to for text editors (but of course there is a video explaining how to "hack" saved games. :roll: )
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

My idea is quite different. The resource won't be displayed, but appear (was created by game engine), on specify worker action. I also suggested to remember on which tile was some action performed, so player cannot build mine, pillage or transform it to farm and build mine again.