The Oceanian nations

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
ToastFaceKillah

The Oceanian nations

Post by ToastFaceKillah »

I know it has little impact on the game but I just though id share my perspective on pacific nations, specifically Micronesia which I know can be hard to get clear info on.

I love the extended Civ options but I was bummed to find my home country the Republic of Palau was missing. I understand very well that most people probably never heard of it. being small and with a population of around 20,000.
But it really bugged me when Nauru; another island nation with half the population of Palau is included. And don't get me started on Rapa Nui with a population of just 5,000...
( no offense Nauru & Rapa Nui :D )

Also for the Civ flag of "Micronesian" it is the 4 stared flag of the Federated states of Micronesia (4 stars being the 4 island states of yap,Pohnpei,Chuuk,Kosrae).
It would be egregious if its meant to represent Micronesia as a whole region. May I suggest the flag of the "Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands" which is same flag but with a total of 6 stars. Representing Yap,Pohnpei,Chuuk,Palau,The Marianas and Marshall islands. in the end, Ethnically We all are, And call ourselves Micronesian but generally we go by our island nationalities of course.
XYZ
Elite

Re: The Oceanian nations

Post by XYZ »

You can create and submit flags and rulesets... But thats no guaranty something will happen. I tried. But mixcoatl is absent for some years so nothing will happen unless someone will assume his post.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Yes, adding new nations has stalled since Jos (mixcoatl) wandered off; he was doing such a great job that I'm reluctant to try to step in his shoes (plus, I have plenty else to do). I think he was trying to add some balance to the somewhat patchy global coverage when he stopped.

Andrzej (artaxes), another prolific contributor, seems to have gone quiet around the same time, probably understandably.

Sorry to anyone whose work got stuck in the queue. It is no longer online now gna.org has departed, but is not lost forever, and I hope to bring it back online one day (see other thread).
ToastFaceKillah

Post by ToastFaceKillah »

Thats a shame, It really is some great work so far. thanks for the response though.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

ToastFaceKillah wrote:Thats a shame.
Just in case, Palau and Niue already existed as Gna! patch 4535, I stumbled over it in the Yugoslavia flag thread. The latest and greatest on Commons for Palau is newer than Gna! patch 4535, I use the same strategy as for Yugoslavia:

See HRM 697041 (plus a dupe at 697042, because I don't get how to edit my own text), on the Wiki Niue.svg and Palau.svg.