Tiny type and midget map

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Jim-11

Tiny type and midget map

Post by Jim-11 »

I have a 27" monitor, so my display area is huge, but I need to use a magnifying glass to read the tiny type that Freeciv uses on the main display. I have a similar problem with most Windows menus, so maybe Freeciv uses a Windows default type size. If anyone knows a way to increase the size of the type in Freeciv (or in Windows 10), I would be happy to hear about it. I have tried to adjust the Windows 10 display settings, but the only one I can find that makes type bigger is Custom scaling, which also makes everything else too big.

The "world" map at the top left of the display is pathetically small, and it insists on showing ocean instead of the continent I want to watch. I would need to scroll it in both axis every time I want to look at it so I just don't bother. There really should be a way to enlarge that map size, and also to keep it fixed on an area of interest.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Tiny type and midget map

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

I'm not sure if this is available in all of the clients, but at least in the GTK+ client, you can change font sizes in the client settings under "Font".

For the minimap, the workaround I use is to pop it out of the rest of the GUI (clicking the thin button next to it) and then resize it to fit and move it into one of the bottom corners.
~ AVL
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Jim-11 wrote:The "world" map at the top left of the display is pathetically small, and it insists on showing ocean instead of the continent I want to watch. I would need to scroll it in both axis every time I want to look at it so I just don't bother.
You mean it has scrollbars?

This has been annoying for a while and ought to be fixed. One thing that makes it more prevalent is that Game / Options / Local client / Interface / "Arrange widgets for small displays" is set by default. It sounds like you don't have a small display, so you could uncheck it, save settings and restart; you might find that makes any scrollbars on the minimap go away. (It doesn't address all your issues.)
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

Caedo wrote:For the minimap, the workaround I use is to pop it out of the rest of the GUI (clicking the thin button next to it) and then resize it to fit and move it into one of the bottom corners.
Thanks! I had no idea that the thin strips on the left side were buttons! Popping out the map allows me to enlarge the box enough so the scroll bars vanish. I can also pop out the main info box to move it around, but I cannot make the map or the contents of the info box bigger to be easier to see.

Caedo wrote:I'm not sure if this is available in all of the clients, but at least in the GTK+ client, you can change font sizes in the client settings under "Font".
Good thought, but the font tab does not solve my problem with seeing the tiny type in the main info box that also shows the year & turn, population, gold, government, etc. I more than doubled all the font sizes in the font tab, but the type is still as tiny as before.
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

JTN wrote:This has been annoying for a while and ought to be fixed. One thing that makes it more prevalent is that Game / Options / Local client / Interface / "Arrange widgets for small displays" is set by default. It sounds like you don't have a small display, so you could uncheck it, save settings and restart; you might find that makes any scrollbars on the minimap go away. (It doesn't address all your issues.)
There are too many settings! I had not seen the "arrange widgets" check before. Unchecking it does make the map maximum size (which is still very small, but at least with no scroll bars). Thanks!
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

One of my tiny type concerns was the city display where the type was so small that I literally had to squint up close to the monitor to see the numbers. Caedo's suggestion of the font tab solves that problem. Changing the "City Label" font from normal 8 to bold 12 makes the city display numbers easy to read from a distance. Thanks Caedo!