Strategic bombing, tactical bomber

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
XYZ
Elite

Re: Strategic bombing, tactical bomber

Post by XYZ »

With this pace I'll be done in just a few decades.
First game was in 2003 so I will manage. :D
WWI bomber: total randomness besides little damage and big chance of missing the target

"Strategic Bombing" - randomly destroy building, population, extra, damage unit or miss.
Sounds like a Zeppelin or Gotha bomber raid in WWI
XYZ wrote:
WWII bomber: strong but little effect on small cities and not always precise

Are you asking for a semi-targeted variant? I mean a variant that has a target but may miss and hit nothing or something else? In that case we need one action for each target kind (unit, population, building, extra). Does strong mean higher probability of doing damage vs "Strategic Bombing"?
An action for each target would be the best long term solution so you can play with the variables. My thought was an aerial bomb attack that hits buildings, population, infrastructure and units; only one of them or nothing. More of a random thing.
And yes, simply higher probabilities between WWI, WWII and Cold War but that is a ruleset thing.
cold war bomber and upward: precise population and/or city structure/rail destruction.

"Surgical Strike Building" - precise city structure
A variant of Pillage that is instant and can target the adjacent tile (if you wish to destroy rail in cities)
A variant of Poison City that isn't a Spy action.
"Attack Specific Unit" or "Surgical Strike Unit" (planned but not started, could be years away) if you forgot to mention units.
Yeah, I guess whoever makes his ruleset can decide if he wants the cold war bomber to have surgical strike or a simple carpet bombing with high probabilities of hitting structures/population/units/infrastr.
Sure, an instant pillage that can target adjeacent tile sounds fantastic. Same for the poison city variant!
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

XYZ wrote:The defense to this kind of attack would be employing SAMs and AA guns over your territory that are cloaked so that the enemy bomber is being intercepted or at least his bomber damaged when flying into these anti-aircraft defense units.
Would automatic attack on any enemy air unit moving to an adjacent tile fit your idea of interception? It would have to hijack the autoattack setting and enable it by default in the ruleset. This is possible in 3.0. In 3.1 doing so is less work.

Maybe SAMs or AA guns should be added to the sandbox ruleset? Did you learn ruleset modding since the last time we talked?
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Would automatic attack on any enemy air unit moving to an adjacent tile fit your idea of interception? It would have to hijack the autoattack setting and enable it by default in the ruleset. This is possible in 3.0. In 3.1 doing so is less work.
Definitely! It's how I imagined a modern SAM. For older AA guns I thought of direct contact by a fly-over. The AA gun being cloaked for the plane. A bit like a seamine...
Maybe SAMs or AA guns should be added to the sandbox ruleset? Did you learn ruleset modding since the last time we talked?
Unfortunately not, I do more good with graphics... However, I put my faith in http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047. Wahazar does a pretty good job and has implemented many things that I wanted and I'm sure he has an interest in this as well. He even requested the SAM.