Strategic bombing, tactical bomber

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
XYZ
Veteran

Strategic bombing, tactical bomber

Postby XYZ » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:52 am

I've always wondered if strategic bombing could be introduced since it is much more that what bombers did in WW2. Destroying homes, factories and infrastructure of cities and not to forget kill humans. I could imagine a city loosing a city structure and/or population per bombing raid but not necessarily units. Odds would depend on if there is a defender e.g. rifleman (also depending on how many) or an anti-aircraft gun structure/unit. Also introducing a tactical bomber for unit combat would close the gap between fighter (more gainst other planes) and bombers (for city destruction).

sveinung
Elite

Re: Strategic bombing, tactical bomber

Postby sveinung » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:21 am

At the moment a ruleset can use "Bombard" or regular attack. The result of "Bombard" is: actor spends all his movement, each unit in the city has a risk of being hit and one population is removed from the city (unless the effect Unit_No_Lose_Pop, "City Walls", is active). "Bombard" can't kill a unit or a city.

I could make a strategic bombing action available for ruleset authors. Freeciv 3.0 is the earliest version where that could happen. Would you be able to help testing it if I did? If yes: how much help would you need to test it? (On a scale from "can download the most recent Freeciv 3.0 from SVN, apply custom patches that aren't a part of Freeciv yet, compile the result, change the ruleset and then test it" to "can test it if someone else gives me access to a working version, installs it for me and tell me what ruleset to load")

XYZ
Veteran

Re: Strategic bombing, tactical bomber

Postby XYZ » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:19 pm

each unit in the city has a risk of being hit and one population is removed from the city
even better if you can combine the 3 (with structure loss) with probabilities to emulate the varying precisions bombing had back then.

Would you be able to help testing it if I did?
Unfortunately I have never tested/loaded rulesets. I could do it if isn't to difficult. Unfortunately the AI doesn't use planes for offensive attacks yet wich would allow AI simulations.

I remember now how I used bombers while playing the Colonial Africa Scenario when Greatturn was still working. Pretty useful to kill units in the field but pretty useless against cities (we played with the bombard function from civ2civ3 ruleset).