Limit movement on rails

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
XYZ
Elite

Limit movement on rails

Post by XYZ »

I would very much appreciate if some sort of limit for railways could be easily implemented before setting a game. Being able to change e.g. to 9-times movement bonus on rails to put some counterweight to unlimited movement wich can be very unrealistic in my opinion.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Limit movement on rails

Post by cazfi »

Movement speed on any road type is under ruleset control.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Longer answer, classic has 3 move fragments. 1 is triple speed, 0 is unlimited. Experimental has 9 fragments, 1 for railway yields 9, various 3 are as in classic (3/9 is the same as 1/3), and 0 is for maglev. IIRC civ2civ3 has 6 fragments, 1 for railway yields 6, 0 for maglev infinite, various 2 are as in classic (2/6=1/3).

In my own rules I use 12 fragments, 4 for 4/12=1/3, 2 for tramway and 12/2=6 as in civ2civ3 railway, and 1 for railway yielding 12. I have no maglev/infinite: Tramway replaced railway, railway replaced maglev.

The max. fragment number is 15. Check also units.ruleset, not everything related to fragments is in terrain.ruleset.
Drachefly

Post by Drachefly »

How about, each unit starting a turn on rails gets (N minus base movement) additional railway-only moves they can use, that evaporate if the unit leaves the rails, and can only be used for actually moving - not attacking or doing terrain improvements. I think an N of 4 or 5 would work well.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Drachefly wrote:How about, each unit starting a turn on rails gets (N minus base movement) additional railway-only moves they can use, that evaporate if the unit leaves the rails, and can only be used for actually moving - not attacking or doing terrain improvements. I think an N of 4 or 5 would work well.
Something in this direction for road-, river-, railway-, or maglev-moves might be nice, it is odd that moving units can enter or leave transportation whenever and wherever they want at no cost. But the minimal cost is one fragment, and with a maximum of 15 fragments per move point it could be hard to get this right in a ruleset.
Drachefly

Post by Drachefly »

That particular rule only really makes sense for rail or maglev. It'd be up to the ruleset maker to ensure balance, yes, but I don't see why it would be all THAT hard to do. If they allow 15 move fragments they're already committed to roads being utterly bananas. Then they can choose the Railway Move count to be whatever, independently of that.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

dunnoob wrote:with a maximum of 15 fragments per move point
I'm yet to reproduce any problems with more fragments with current S2_5. (One related bug was fixed in 2.5.2)
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

cazfi wrote:(One related bug was fixed in 2.5.2)
I wasn't aware that bug #24654 is supposed to be a fixed bug, because I considered it as undocumented feature, but a quick 2.5.4 test worked for me: fragments up to 255 can be started, 256 triggers the error message I recall for 16 in an older 2.5 release.