Vassals

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Chuma

Vassals

Post by Chuma »

The best thing in Civ 4, and the most sorely missed in Civ 5, in my opinion. If you set out to conquer the world, you'll soon have huge piles of cities to deal with. It's a problem in Civ 5, and it's a crippling flaw in Freeciv, where you can have very many civs (and there are no puppet cities either). Vassals are also a great way to let players stay in the game even after being defeated, and they add an interesting dimension to scenario games.
Bob

Re: Vassals

Post by Bob »

I second this notion
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Interesting idea! Corruption or unhappiness avoids having too many cities so that you should destroy most of the cities you conquer. Would be nice if the AI could do the same since he keeps on founding cities creating tumor-like looking states that look badly/artificial.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Bob wrote:I second this notion
Add me. So far I give unnecessary cities to my AI allies (they always accept a donated city) OR convert them to settlers helping to build good captured cities OR convert the to settlers and then to workers (allowed in my rules) and then upgrade to engineers OR just kill them anyway (disband settler to get new settler.) It's tricky when I have the Pyramids, otherwise shrinking cities works (sometimes governor Terminator does it down to size 1 or 2, the rest needs manual interventions.)

In theory (untested) you can create a new AI "vassal", force it into your team, and give them all cities you don't care about. Ideally on continents where you don't have own 25+ cities, the AIs just suck with big cities, vassal or otherwise. And I have a (mild) migration ON, big cities eat up anything in their neighborhood.

My idea how "vassals" could work: (1) Conquer an enemy capital. (2) Revolution, radically tuned up, instead of a 30% chance for democracy at least 66%. (3) Now the new faction will join you as vassal (= team) if you give them the conquered capital (one turn later.) Maybe it's possible to force this with some server "hack" commands, but I haven't tried it yet.
Governor "kill" at work
Governor "kill" at work