Civ5 Ruleset (Willing to Pay $200 for)

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
marioxcc_

Re: Civ5 Ruleset (Willing to Pay $200 for)

Post by marioxcc_ »

That is a noble goal. However, making a game like Civilization V (with nice graphics and a nice interface) would require much more than 200 USD. I have a simpler proposal that is incremental, so that if it is abandoned mid-way, it will still leave some useful work already done.

Some background: I have some experience in writing computer-verified mathematical definitions and proofs that you can see here: https://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/projects/hol-proofs/; I also have contributed code to the HOL4 proof assistant; I have absolutely no skills with graphical design of any type; neither GUI nor game sprites, only with programming and mathematics. I am interested in formalizing mathematically some aspects of Freeciv; this could be extended to a more general framework for Civilization-like games that would allow Civilization V and Civilization VI as mere special cases. My motivation is to improve and expand the city governor of Freeciv using SAT solvers (so that it sets tax rate automatically and takes into account tiles that overlap between cities); for this, an unambiguous description of the problem must be written first (which I plan to do).

I can suggest an outline for something like what you want, which is related (but still very different) to my aforementioned plan to improve the city governor of Freeciv:
  • Define a set of of Civilization-like games in HOL4 (or another proof assistant).
  • Based on the documentation and observed behavior of Civilization V, define mathematically Civlization V using the above general framework.
  • Make a very simple implementation (no fancy graphics or fancy interface) of this mathematical model. This would be a playable game, but would lack many amenities.
  • Expand the simple implementation with better interface, multiplayer support, etc, until it becomes a playable game.
  • Make better graphics (I can not work in this part).
If you are interested, please contact me by e-mail:

Code: Select all

marioxcc.MT@yandex.com
Lachu
Elite

Re: Civ5 Ruleset (Willing to Pay $200 for)

Post by Lachu »

Hi.

I've implemented two most important rules from CivV in my game, called Progress: Call to power. The mechanism are: golden age and policies. Not everything are working perfectly, sometimes the game refuses to set policy, so I must look deeper in code. The code looks in some place like a mess, but that's because I'm an only developer of this game.

The code are uploaded to sourceforge. It's time to get money, create custom foundation and hire people like me. There's still a lot of things to do, like implementing AI (If any) and make nice graphics, so I won't make game full compatible with Civ5.

You can compile source, using flatpak-builder on Linux and test game on Linux with flatpak. I don't have an commercial Windows license, only few non-commercial Windows 10 + one Windows 7 licenses. Each is OEM.

I just forgot. To run game start server by hand and connect to it. Don't use option start new history.

I forgot to mention tax algorithm was replaced by restrictor/effects and multipliers connection, so tax dialog can be dropped. But... Freeciv allows to lock taxes.