Units with science upkeep

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Unknown

Units with science upkeep

Post by Unknown »

Did anyone check the possibility of unit with science upkeep? Science upkeep may represent technical skill required to maintain the unit.

I tried to add science upkeep for settler unit, everything worked correctly except unit didn't disband when bulb produced was zero.
Lachu
Elite

Re: Units with science upkeep

Post by Lachu »

Far, far ago, I suggest to introduce engineering points, which will be used to build house and infrastructure(when no some amount of engineering points player have and city grow, new citizen should been unhappy), but also it could been used to instantly repair some unit type and build roads, city improvements, etc.

Maybe, instead of cost in science points, introduce cost in engineering points - when some amount not met, unit will loss hp.
sveinung
Elite

Re: Units with science upkeep

Post by sveinung »

Unknown wrote:I tried to add science upkeep for settler unit, everything worked correctly except unit didn't disband when bulb produced was zero.
Only missing food, gold and shield upkeep can result in the unit being disbanded. Only missing food and shield will kill a citizen for missing upkeep if the unit doesn't disband.

(This is one of the issues that should be addressed before Action Auto Performer rules can live in the ruleset. I hope to put Action Auto Performer rules in the ruleset for Freeciv 3.1. Missing upkeep auto disbanding for other upkeep kinds is therefore on my TODO list)