Freeciv source sln for vis studio

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Captaintoottoot

Freeciv source sln for vis studio

Post by Captaintoottoot »

I love modding games, more than even playing them. For years I've wanted to play around with a civ2 like engine but there isn't much in the way of open sourced games like that around. I have tried for hours to get minGW and whatnot together and working to get freeciv compiling but to no avail. I do however know my way around visual studio. Could someone put up a link to download the freeciv code that has a SLN and compiles in vis studio?
cazfi
Elite

Re: Freeciv source sln for vis studio

Post by cazfi »

It's probably going to take some effort to get Freeciv to compile in Visual Studio. Freeciv is written in C (assuming as least C99 in many respects) and Visual Studio is for C++.
Captaintoottoot

I think it's funny how a lot of open source programs out there will try to be as compatible as possible with different operating systems and whatnot, even systems that less than 5% of the users actually use. Yet they'll shut out visual studio which is a large, if not the largest, group of people. IoQuake3 is the first to come to mind. They release their code but its like nobody can compile it in visual studio. "Openarena" isn't actually 'open' to most people. heh. This is a saddening trend.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Freeciv is older than Visual Studio, in case you didn't know.
~ AVL
Captaintoottoot

I didn't know that. But that's kind of like saying a certain picture is older than photoshop. Photoshop may not be able to read the file format but I'm just saying it would be cool if it could. Hence the wishlist forums. :) Dear Santa Claus. For Christmas I ( and possibly many starving children) would like a version of freeciv to be able to be pulled up in visual studio so we could mess with millions of imaginary people in many of our own special ways.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Captaintoottoot wrote:I have tried for hours to get minGW and whatnot together and working to get freeciv compiling but to no avail.
Have you been using instructions from: win32/installer/Makefile ?

It's a bit unlikely that someone else will get Visual Studio to work for you if you don't do it yourself. I'm not sure if any of the developers belonging to the maintainers team even have a Windows machine to use for development.
Captaintoottoot

cazfi wrote:I'm not sure if any of the developers belonging to the maintainers team even have a Windows machine to use for development.
That's kind of what I was getting at earlier. A lot of fringe developers will treat the majority of people, aka people on windows / people who use visual studio, like a low priority and give them leftovers, but give high priority to the less than 5% of the community.

If I wasn't on such a tight budget I'd almost be willing to pay someone to port it over to vis studio. I don't know much about the freeciv code so from where I'm standing right now I don't know how much work that would be.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Captaintoottoot wrote:
cazfi wrote:A lot of fringe developers will treat the majority of people, aka people on windows / people who use visual studio, like a low priority and give them leftovers, but give high priority to the less than 5% of the community.
I have family to feed. You are asking quite much by saying that I should pay for a new computer and all the needed Windows software just for Windows specific development of Freeciv (done for free).
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Hello Captaintoottoot,

Instead of asking for a ready-to-use solution that doesn't exist, you could explain what you have tried so far and when/how it failed. You will more likely get help this way, because even if they don't have Windows nor VS, the devs know their program. There may still be problems specific to Windows, but more likely some dependency is missing, or some PATH is not correct. After all, Freeciv runs on Windows.
If this way you get to compile Freeciv on Windows, it would be awesome if you could create a HowTo on the wiki to help future candidates. You will most likely not end up with a Solution one can just download and open (even if, from what I found, VS can be made to use a custom toolchain).

One last thing : Consider installing Linux (maybe Ubuntu) in a virtual machine (you will find lots of tutorials on the Web). It will be easier for us to help you, and there are excellent IDEs available. One can even compile for Windows on Linux, so you will be able to use your modified version on your OS of choice.

Louis