Defense bonus depending on unit direction

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Lachu
Elite

Defense bonus depending on unit direction

Post by Lachu »

My idea is about introduce an unit direction information. Unit direction will change to direction directly to defender, while attacking(attack cost move point). When attacked, direction of defender is checked and if it's directly to attacker, unit will get 50% defense bonus. If direction is opposite to attacker, unit will get -50% defense points.

Why? Killstack. Currently I can protect catapult/canon/etc. by placing unit with big defense on tile with protected unit. Introducing defense bonuses based on direction will change gameplay(and makes it better). To protect some tile/uni I will place more protector unit than one on protecting tile with many cases. Of course, attacking capital city(with are in center of country) without capturing other cities gives defender possibility to use units from other cities to attack tile with my catapult/etc.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Defense bonus depending on unit direction

Post by cazfi »

Lachu wrote:My idea is about introduce an unit direction information. Unit direction will change to direction directly to defender, while attacking(attack cost move point).
Unit direction has been there since freeciv-2.4, but the only tileset having separate sprites for each orientation is cimpletoon.
Jacew

Re: Defense bonus depending on unit direction

Post by Jacew »

cazfi wrote:
Lachu wrote:My idea is about introduce an unit direction information. Unit direction will change to direction directly to defender, while attacking(attack cost move point).
Unit direction has been there since freeciv-2.4, but the only tileset having separate sprites for each orientation is cimpletoon.
What? Is this configurable or hardcoded? Does this actually affect defensive strenght of unit?