[Server] Stories to assemble save games together

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Lachu
Elite

[Server] Stories to assemble save games together

Post by Lachu »

I have prompted for many ideas to many open source project last time. I'm busy with implementing my own programming language, which no name yet, to libgreattao, so I haven't time to implement all ideas born in my mind.

This idea is to change client and server before release of Freeciv 3.0. The idea is to save savegames into separate directory for each game. In the same directory freeciv-server will store copy of ruleset and log (client would have option to set how many messages would been stored), so if there's no limit of message amount, we could watch video of entire game!

Client would have option called "start new story" instead "start new game", new option called "copy story" to copy existing savegames, etc. and load story. Once user selects load story, he/she would select story to load and in next step savegame from story.

I doubt copy story button should copy all savegames from selected story or only last.

When the idea was realized, we could for example save map in separate file and in savegames will only saves change on map, like climate change, etc.
Lachu
Elite

Re: [Server] Stories to assemble save games together

Post by Lachu »

If ruleset are saved to savegame file now , the idea will reduce space taken to game save. If the ruleset aren't saved to savegame, this idea will reduce problems with rulesets updates.

Also, for someone playing many games, the new client gui will help him to load savegame and makes autosavegame replacing own save game impossible.