Destroy Enemy City Option

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
TwoSalientOversight

Destroy Enemy City Option

Post by TwoSalientOversight »

Having a "destroy enemy city" option flagged at the beginning of the game means that any city captured during the game is immediately looted and destroyed. It could imply, for example, that different nations are actually different species and are incompatible. Also, some of us like having city symmetry.

When I wish for this game option I simply switch to edit and destroy the city and its railway. I'd rather not have to do this, Plus it adds something different to the gameplay.

ILoveLilyAllen

Re: Destroy Enemy City Option

Post by ILoveLilyAllen »

I have vague memories from playing Civ II that sending spies in to "Poison Water Supply" used to effectively destroy enemy cities if done enough times.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

ILoveLilyAllen wrote:I have vague memories from playing Civ II that sending spies in to "Poison Water Supply" used to effectively destroy enemy cities if done enough times.
The current rule is that you can't poison a city of size 1. Freeciv 2.6 allows it to be changed by the ruleset. I just added this to the list of uninvestigated rules for the civ2 ruleset.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

TwoSalientOversight wrote:When I wish for this game option I simply switch to edit and destroy the city and its railway. I'd rather not have to do this, Plus it adds something different to the gameplay.
The action "Destroy City" was recently added to Freeciv 3.0 in patch #6248. It is an action that can be enabled in the ruleset. A ruleset author could use it to allow the player to destroy undefended foreign cities during war.

"Destroy City" isn't what you asked for. It isn't a server setting that can be set for each game. It won't destroy any extras (like railway) at the city tile. No loot is given to the player performing it. You may be able to add loot and extra destruction by using ruleset Lua script.

The Freeciv 3.0 version series is scheduled to be released after the 2.6 series. The current stable Freeciv version series is at the beginning of 2.5. When I wrote this both Freeciv-web and the pre compiled Freeciv 3.0 Windows builds used a 3.0 too old to include "Destroy City".
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

Maybe give a chance to create partisans in city center instead of destroying city, when action destroy city is performed(of course, player should have access to partisan unit).
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Lachu wrote:Maybe give a chance to create partisans in city center instead of destroying city, when action destroy city is performed(of course, player should have access to partisan unit).
You can stop the action by killing the actor unit in the Lua call back. You can release partisans in the same Lua callback.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

In CivIII when you conquer city and opt to raze it, it produces some number of foreign workers (slaves), depending on its size (but smaller than it)