several considerations

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
heracles miracles

several considerations

Post by heracles miracles »

Hi there. I greatly enjoy freeciv, thank you to all who work on it. I played Civ back in 1992 or so - I remember the first time the sunrise caught me by surprise. I am a little more temperate now!

Here are a few suggestions. I imagine many have been brought up before, but after perusing of the forum and wiki I think these are pertinent points to consider. Thanks for listening.

GENERAL:
communism could use a late stage terrain trade bonus - perhaps superhighways could do something
communism's gold disadvantage can be countered through "coinage". Perhaps the science disadvantage could be addressed similarly?
militarily overpowered AI nations should agree to give something in return for a cease-fire
artillery firepower of 2 makes it almost too dominant - 1.5 possible?

EXPERIMENTAL RULESET:
too much plague and migration, and they compound against each other - default should be a bit easier though the concept is great
coin upkeep favors democracy even more - perhaps make it per-unit optional or remove the gold upkeep for 6 commie units
gold upkeep might break shakespeare's theatre: can't you simply home-city all troops to that city and go to war? (I haven't tried it yet)
show likelihood of migration and destination cities in the same way as pollution or plague risk

INTERFACE:
can't watch AI moves. It is probably more realistic as is, but would be fun to have the screen show non-fogged AI moves
keyboard command to see info on tile/unit
keyboard command to open a unit's city
keyboard command to remove all units, cities, words, etc from view, leaving only terrain, alterations, pollution, etc

BUGS (Windows 8 on a 2008 laptop computer):
occasional graphic refresh problems when clicking center of the city
after changing research tech, it requires to click "view" twice to return to the main screen
auto-center on units happening when turned off - have to turn it on, click OK, turn it back off again, click OK

That's all for now. Thanks a lot.
heracles miracles

Re: several considerations

Post by heracles miracles »

I see that a few of these observations are factored in to the civ2civ3 ruleset.