Additional Government Types

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
adamo

Re: Additional Government Types

Post by adamo »

I agree with adding other government types, but I just don't like one thing: the "Fascism" seems good (as an government idea in the game), but I don't like the name! I would love to see something like "Nationalism" (or something else) than "Fascism" instead. In Human vs. AI's offline gameplay you can play anything you want, but imagine that there is someone from Israel playing online and you're current government/nation is for example... fascist Germany; I know it's just a game, but the name of its particular government might be highly offensive/abusive for some people.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

adamo wrote:...imagine that there is someone from Israel playing online and you're current government/nation is for example... fascist Germany; I know it's just a game, but the name of its particular government might be highly offensive/abusive for some people.
Imagine the same with 'communist USSR' and someone from Ukraine. Or 'imperial Japan' and Manchuria. Or 'French republic' and Algeria. Many other examples can be found in history; I think people are able to differentiate a game from the reality.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

adamo wrote:I agree with adding other government types, but I just don't like one thing: the "Fascism" seems good (as an government idea in the game), but I don't like the name! I would love to see something like "Nationalism" (or something else) than "Fascism" instead. In Human vs. AI's offline gameplay you can play anything you want, but imagine that there is someone from Israel playing online and you're current government/nation is for example... fascist Germany; I know it's just a game, but the name of its particular government might be highly offensive/abusive for some people.
The same could be said of ANY government. Most notably for us is Communism. Basically, any government that is not like their own (Provided they actually like their own) is going to offend people. Remember, this is a game that is generally about Global Domination. The fact that this theory of government was a very real threat is /more/ reason to put it in, not less. Also, nationalism isn't a kind of government.
The biggest problem is actually making it distinct from Communism, as the macro scale results tend to be relatively similar. Both are highly militant and authoritarian. The only major differences:
Fascists tend to set themselves up as the champions of their religion, while communists tend to squelch religion.
Fascists believe strongly in individuals pulling their weight and taking the lion's share, while communists take all and distribute as they see fit.

Fascism: A political theory advocating an authoritarian hierarchical government (as opposed to democracy or liberalism)

Nationalism:
Love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it [When conflated with Patriotism]
The doctrine that your national culture and interests are superior to any other
The aspiration for national independence felt by people under foreign domination
The doctrine that nations should act independently (rather than collectively) to attain their goals