Better Starting Point Selection Algorithm

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
ahfretheim

Better Starting Point Selection Algorithm

Post by ahfretheim »

I've found that if you select more than 20 players at the beginning of the game, there's no way FreeCiv can find starting positions for them, and instead throws an error. This means that if you want a real kick-in-the-door kind of world with lots of combat, diplomacy, et cetera from the start (history did not start in 800 AD after all) you have to make your map really small, and that means that you're playing on a small map, which is no fun either. Could we get a better algorithm for initializing players? It's okay if they start on whacky terrains - that happens in real life, and you don't see the Nepalese or Inuit complaining all day about it!
jerk-o

Re: Better Starting Point Selection Algorithm

Post by jerk-o »

Have you tried using the "Tiles Per Player" map size definition? That should let you play with more than 20 players and not have to worry about it being to crowded.
ahfretheim

Re: Better Starting Point Selection Algorithm

Post by ahfretheim »

jerk-o wrote:Have you tried using the "Tiles Per Player" map size definition? That should let you play with more than 20 players and not have to worry about it being to crowded.
There's an idea! I may try that. Thanks! I like to play with a huge number of players and raging hordes of barbarians! :lol: