I show you mine if you show me yours

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Arbogast
Elite

I show you mine if you show me yours

Post by Arbogast »

I'm getting very frustrated with the quality of my games!!!
If you show me how you go about winning in less than 100 turns, I'll show you how I lag behind after 200 turns...
I love this game, but I'm ready to throw the towel... (shucks)
Can you help me?
merci beaucoup
cazfi
Elite

Re: I show you mine if you show me yours

Post by cazfi »

As you're regular here and have shown some commitment (not only asking quick fix), maybe you should change the game instead of how you play. Adjust the rules to something more suitable to your playing style (and less suitable for AI).

When I started my own private games fork from the rules, first idea was slowing down the game (I hated it how units built immediately when tech became available were practically obsolete by the time they reached the enemy). Simply multiplying 'sciencebox' provided me with that, but (in my case unfortunately) also total dominance over AI - it had, and still has, serious problems when the research is much slower. If you test increasing sciencebox, you probably want to adjust foodbox too - so that cities are not waiting aqueducts when you're not even dreaming about researching construction etc - this of course slows down research even more (slower growth -> smaller cities -> less research), which should be taken in to consideration when deciding exact values to use.
If you go to ruleset modifications, you can even make it a rule that "easy level AI has -20% research penalty" by defining effects with AI type as requirement (See default/ai_effects.ruleset for effects that give bonuses for Cheating AI - you want similar effects with negative values)
Arbogast
Elite

Re: I show you mine if you show me yours

Post by Arbogast »

These are good sugestions indeed. It opens up new roads for me.
I have been modifying them with various wide results, but I don't despair -it's all a question of tweaking and refining.
This early post is just to thank you all, foremost to cazfi our foremost surgeon. :mrgreen: