questions

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
djconklin
Veteran

questions

Post by djconklin »

1) Is there a way to cut the probability of barbarians showing up? Twice in two turns was a bit too much.

2) Is there a way to cut the cost of building new settler units?

3) On another thread I was told that "there's Ancients ruleset that has none of the modern technologies" Where do I find it in the game?

4) Is there a way to increase the number of huts at the set up of the game?

5) Could you put the saved games in a saved folder in the game folder?

6) How can we fix it so that if we have "no contact" there's no war?
heilkitty

Re: questions

Post by heilkitty »

1. Yes, check game settings at the start (barbarian appearance rate or something).
2. Yes, you'd have to edit ruleset in order to do this.
4. See 1.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

3. Ancients ruleset is custom ruleset you need to install separately. For 2.3 it's available in default list presented to you when you launch freeciv-modpack -utility. For 2.4 it's not available in the default list at the moment. You can launch freeciv-modpack with commandline option "-L http://www.cazfi.net/freeciv/modinst/2.4/modpack.list" to use my alternative modpack list where it is, or you can enter URL "http://www.cazfi.net/freeciv/modinst/2. ... -2.modpack" directly to "Modpack URL" field of freeciv-modpack to install latest version as of today.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

5. You can launch a server with the commandline option "-s (path)" to make it save games in that directory. I don't know if there's an option for the client to do that.
~ AVL
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

heilkitty wrote:1. Yes, check game settings at the start (barbarian appearance rate or something).
Found it. The lowest I can get is either none or in the huts. I'd prefer a percentage chance.

>Is there a way to increase the number of huts at the set up of the game?

Found that in the last line under Geological--I had to scroll down to find it.
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

djconklin wrote:5) Could you put the saved games in a saved folder in the game folder?
I have a simple workaround for this. Use Windows Explorer to find the folder where the Freeciv games are saved. Right click that folder and drag to the desktop. Select create a shortcut. Then double clicking the icon will open the folder that holds the saved games. :) I keep my games folder icon next to my Freeciv icon, so it is easy to open the folder to delete all the previously saved games before starting a new game.
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

Jim-11 wrote:
djconklin wrote:5) Could you put the saved games in a saved folder in the game folder?
I have a simple workaround for this. Use Windows Explorer to find the folder where the Freeciv games are saved.
I tried that, no luck. So, I have no idea where the files might be.
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

Another idea:

7) Clearing a forest adds some points towards the finishing of whatever is being constructed.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

for my two bits worth:
The saved games are ALL in a '.freeciv\saves' deep inside your 'documents and settings\(user-whatever your name is)\Application Data.
By ALL I mean that even if you have several versions of Freeciv, the saved games ALL go there.
It can get very big, specially if you save at every turn, so I have a short cut for that folder.
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

Arbogast wrote:for my two bits worth:
The saved games are ALL in a '.freeciv\saves' deep inside your 'documents and settings\(user-whatever your name is)\Application Data.
By ALL I mean that even if you have several versions of Freeciv, the saved games ALL go there.
It can get very big, specially if you save at every turn, so I have a short cut for that folder.
I really appreciate all the help I'm getting on this--not like other games were it is absent.

In this case, I don't have document and settings folder. Could it be hidden so that even a search of the harddrive won't find it? I know that I have "temporary internet file" (or something close) folder and yet when I go to where it is supposed to be it doesn't show up. I used to see it, but I don't recall what I did to uncover it.