questions

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
HanduMan

Re: questions

Post by HanduMan »

Arbogast, you're still with XP? It's not the same anymore.

Assuming djconklin is on Windows (Temporary internet files kind of points to that direction), here's where they're hiding in my WIn 7 : C:\Users\{myUserName}\AppData\Roaming\.freeciv\saves.
No idea where it would be in a Win 8 computer. Not to mention any of the Linuxes.

Hope this helps.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

oh yes! XP for ever my friend! Wha ya mean 'it's not the same anymore' ?
I tried Ubuntu with catasophric results... (I'm still trying...)
Indeed! I leave Linux to the doctors of this site, and I'll stick to Windows for myself, as I get more playing time againts configuring a set-up that I don't understand anything about it.
After all, Wiki says that the easieast way to install (and run) freeciv is with the Windows package.
(My experiences with Linux: After a few tries, I got Ubuntu going but couldn't do anything with it, then, I tried Cazfi's trick and it got worst. Then I tried a hard disk install of Ubuntu and all I got is a GRUB prompt, couldn't get beyond that -and I'm making my woes brief!-)
So yes, XP-SP3 is best for me... Thank you very much. :mrgreen:

Djconklin: Should look for a DOTfreeciv folder (Handuman makes a point of it too). I don't know what OS you're running, but the save games are way away from the default freeciv folder. I use TotalComander which makes it easier to find weird things, but I'm sure that with the default Windows search you should be able to find it. As for Linux... Well, I don't speak that language. :lol:
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

HanduMan wrote:Arbogast, you're still with XP? It's not the same anymore.

Assuming djconklin is on Windows (Temporary internet files kind of points to that direction), here's where they're hiding in my WIn 7 : C:\Users\{myUserName}\AppData\Roaming\.freeciv\saves.
No idea where it would be in a Win 8 computer. Not to mention any of the Linuxes.

Hope this helps.
It helped greatly! I never thought of looking under roaming! That's where they hid the files.

I'm going to have to begin a basic programming class centered around Henry David Thoreau's dictum: simplify, simplify, simplify.
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

Arbogast wrote:oh yes! XP for ever my friend! Wha ya mean 'it's not the same anymore' ?
I tried Ubuntu with catasophric results... (I'm still trying...)
Indeed! I leave Linux to the doctors of this site, and I'll stick to Windows for myself, as I get more playing time againts configuring a set-up that I don't understand anything about it.
After all, Wiki says that the easieast way to install (and run) freeciv is with the Windows package.
(My experiences with Linux: After a few tries, I got Ubuntu going but couldn't do anything with it, then, I tried Cazfi's trick and it got worst. Then I tried a hard disk install of Ubuntu and all I got is a GRUB prompt, couldn't get beyond that -and I'm making my woes brief!-)
So yes, XP-SP3 is best for me... Thank you very much. :mrgreen:

Djconklin: Should look for a DOTfreeciv folder (Handuman makes a point of it too). I don't know what OS you're running, but the save games are way away from the default freeciv folder. I use TotalComander which makes it easier to find weird things, but I'm sure that with the default Windows search you should be able to find it. As for Linux... Well, I don't speak that language. :lol:
LOL! Me neither. Maybe I should learn.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Yes! Got to go into Linuz. A must!
Freeciv iz really oriented towards Linuz!
But it's a really hard learning curve...
Oh well, I'm playing 2.4.0 in windows with such weird results that I'm planning to post my saves.
I'm talking about FREE bribing units. And building wonders in only 3 or 4 turns. And having a such solid defending situation that Barbarians don't dare!
Sounds outrageous, a dream what...
(more to come) :mrgreen: