Water!

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
meme

Re: Water!

Post by meme »

No dry irrigation for now !
But at least we can stop irrigating with salt. That's good.
Why not have an option
IRRIGATION : salt (by default) allows irrigating with oceans.
and
IRRIGATION : fresh ... allows irrigating from mountains.
(+ rivers and lakes)
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

In my own fc2.4 ruleset I ONLY had freshwater irrigation. Sources were the usual freshwater - rivers, lakes (and irrig tiles), but also swamps and jungles (all Cadjacent). For various reasons I also included mtn Adjacent (i.e. all 8 directions). Worked perfectly well.

The issues with mtns was a - not irrigable, and b - if made so then then you would still have some difficulty with corner connected promontories. Other terrain types can be changed by workers (yes a cheat but what else is new). I don't remember quite what I did with hills.

I tried all sorts of spelling (of resource) in an attempt to use oases - but failed. Fc2.5 fixed that of course.

As for connected systems failing (or changing) I think this is a much bigger issue that relates to all connectable extras. One current example is the issue of lakes flooding with seawater, an old example is rivers! No prizes for guessing that I am working up a proposal on this - but don't hold your breath just yet - I have other fish to fry first.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I may be changing the initial topic a little but it is related.
I get a little frustrated when land locked lakes have salt water and I end up building a ship.
Does some kind of trick can be used to changing it to normal water?

Thanks in advance...
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

lake_max_size in terrain.ruleset. Classic sets it to 14 (tiles) but (presumably) could be set much larger. Personally I don't see the need for inland (salt) seas. None in the real world; a few salt lakes but that's a different matter.