Religions!

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Sereniama

Religions!

Post by Sereniama »

I wish someone made a Religion mod so we can have different religions and the ability to make our own from a document. It would be so awesome to have a Religious Victory where the world is under one ideology by the founder and such.

Now let me explain,

Now if only someone programed religions that is something similar to Civ 4 into the game, with a small tiny icon near the city name like with a symbol of what religion is in that city. like for example, Vaduz has Confucianism, Hinduism, and Judaism in the city. The founder of a religion was in Hinterschellingburg and that becomes the Confucist Holycity. If it's destroyed, it will make a bad reputation upon the nations that are Confucist.

so lets say this:

The Liechtensteiners, Ukrainians, Belgians, Czechoslovakians and Sicilians are all Confucist. Hintenshcellingburg is destroyed in a holywar by Islamic Carthaginians. The Confucist nations get really pissed off and begin to gangbang on the Islamic followers (which would be in this case, Carthagians, Egyptians, Libyans, Algerians, Spanish and Sumerians). And if the Confucist follows destroy the holycity in lets say, Alexandria, then the Islamic followers get pissed at the followers of your religion and they get more hostile.

Pretty much, it would tensify the game, making it more challenging.

Now, how about thinking of a Belief alliance system, which would be religious tolerance. Perhaps if lets say, Confucism manages to get along with the local... I dunno, lets say followers of Judaism, the two can become co-operative, and religious tolerance would have a positive impact until you press a button that is titled "Inquisition", which is where you can kick out and purge all who are not of the same religion you are, which would impact on relations of that nation if they have that religion. However, keeping them for a whille, would cause a positive impact on other nations that are of that belief towards you. So the Jewish nations of lets say, the Romans, Bretons, Confederates, Russians, Portuguese and Khemers would get along with you more due to tolerance.

So, religion can impact alot on your standings in the world as not just a nation, but rather how much trust the nation has in you. There can also be a good chance where nations will be easier to negotiate with if you have the same religion. So you can ally with nations of that religion much faster than someone who isn't the same religion as you. Whereas, the ones who do NOT get along with your religion, will be far harder and more suspicious about you, and might declare war on you much sooner.
Last edited by Sereniama on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Re: Religions!

Post by ngunjaca »

Any ideas/suggestions how the religions would affect game-play? Would some religions limit or boost production/trade/happiness (something else)?
Just wanna see what would be behind these religions as there are many options.
I like the concept of religions to be implemented in FreeCiv. It would surely open new concepts and tactics in the game. Do new civilization games (4,5) contain religions?
Sereniama

Post by Sereniama »

ngunjaca wrote:Do new civilization games (4,5) contain religions?
That's a pretty bad question. You should know this.

Anyways, they should contian some bonuses and unique buildings.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Oh, the bad idea! :evil:
Freeciv had once a beautiful tileset with a heavy religious accent and it disappeared from the radar.
Anyway, as for the buildings: should you get more points for building a Cathedral than a Stupa? Ridicoulous.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

Sereniama wrote:
ngunjaca wrote:Do new civilization games (4,5) contain religions?
That's a pretty bad question. You should know this.
uhhh, I really never installed Civilization IV or V, and I never bothered to read about the games on their website. My last install of commercial civ game was Civlization III. After that I played mainly FreeCiv or C-evo. So I really do not know if they contain religions and how they are implemented in the game. sorry if it sounded weird...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Freeciv (as a project) should not go that way. We want to serve users equally regardless of their religion. We should not make statements about religions by implementing rules that "religion x is so much better at y that it gives bonus z". While I am mainly concerned about using real-life religions, I suspect that fictional religions would be something people would consider modelled after certain real life religion.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Cafzi: There is NO such thing as a Fictional Religion.
I think this thread should be obliterated.
My God is better than yours? or yours better than mine? Absoloutely Ridicoulously!!! :mrgreen:
Actually, I'm rabid about this...
Sereniama

Post by Sereniama »

cazfi wrote:Freeciv (as a project) should not go that way. We want to serve users equally regardless of their religion. We should not make statements about religions by implementing rules that "religion x is so much better at y that it gives bonus z". While I am mainly concerned about using real-life religions, I suspect that fictional religions would be something people would consider modelled after certain real life religion.
Either you had not read the post or you had not seen Civ 4-5.

Religions and custom religions through coding would be awesome.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

"Becasue civilization should be free!"
Free of politics, religion or race.
That's why Freeciv is progressing.
It would be so awesome to have a Religious Victory where the world is under one ideology by the founder and such.
Sereniama: That sounds like fanaticism to the power of 10. Blah!
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

Arbogast wrote:"Becasue civilization should be free!"
Free of politics, religion or race.
That's why Freeciv is progressing.
This is a game depicting states fighting each others and killing dudes in the process. It can't be free of politics at least.
Anyway, religions are good for modeling international relations (alliances, holy wars and stuff) and happiness (by good I mean, gameplay becomes more complex and, potentially, more interesting and maybe realistic). Dunno why everyone became so politically correct all of a sudden.
PS Although, it don't make much sense to introduce religions into game without advanced government system, IMHO.