Cultural victory type

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Lachu
Elite

Cultural victory type

Post by Lachu »

I think we could add new victory type - cultural. Player becomes winner if it gained some cultural score as first. I imagine there could be possibility to trade culture points(for example for technology, cities, etc.).

Another idea is to buy wildcard using culture points, like buying wonder or making earhquake in opponent city.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Cultural victory type

Post by cazfi »

Cultural victory type is in freeciv-2.6 engine, but not many rulesets use it yet.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Oh ! But they do ! Even the classic...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

You can enable cultural victory, meaning game ends to cultural victory when enough culture points achieved, with any ruleset but that alone does not make it possible in reality. It's hard to get enough culture points for a victory if rules do not grant them at all.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Where can I find WHAT are the culture points ?
cazfi wrote:...cultural victory when enough culture points,...
Doesn't explain enough.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Cities and nations have culture value (amount of culture points). National culture is sum of culture of all cities + culture not tied to any one city. There's two types of culture; "Performance" and "History". Current culture is sum of these. "Performance" type culture lasts just current turn while "History" is cumulative. If a building produces 2 points of performance, it still counts as 2 points of culture after 3 turns, but 2 points of history would accumulate up to 3*2=6 points.
Culture points are provided by ruleset effects, so it's up to ruleset where they actually come from.

Ruleset defines also the cultural victory conditions as minimum culture points & minimum cultural lead percentage (both must be met for the victory).
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Ah... At last. Most enlightening...
Merci monsieur

BTW, it seems you are right about 'culture' being no good in some rulesets.
I just tried a game with the classic.ruleset under version r33596 and almost 300 turns later, culture is a pointed zero, altough it's declared in the game.ruleset.