Resource accumulation

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Kaiser85

Resource accumulation

Post by Kaiser85 »

Hi, I have been playing civ series (till Civ 3 to be onest, as I consider 4-5 and 6 as jokes) since I was a kid.
A thing I always desired to see implemented in an ideal version of civ is the concept of "limited resources". What I mean is that all kind of resources should appear as limited deposit, the units themself should require a specific amount of that resource to be built and so buildings and other stuff.
This would drammatically increase the strategy, balance and fun to the game. Of course the deposit of resouce should be randomized in the distribution, but have a logic (for example most of world oil should be concentrated in few, large land as arabian peninsula in the real world) .
Also, we may add a "deposit" building where to store the resources, which maybe in turn captured, destroyed and so on. Again, the resource would continue to appear during the game to simulate the discovery of ones.
Would it be possible to create this?
Lachu
Elite

Re: Resource accumulation

Post by Lachu »

In Civilization IV there exist a small chance to discover silver, gold, iron, etc. once first mine is built on tile. I known, that you requests for something different mechanism, but maybe this mechanism will be accepted by upstream.
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

I have (possibly) better idea: production of good needing some resources making production other kind needing the same resource longer.

How it would work? Each square with resource have exhausting meter, but resource won't exhaust. When producing (for example) legion, which needs iron, then for each turn city is producing legion, exhaust meter of nearest iron will grow with 5. The same with knight, but then it change the value of nearest iron and nearest horses. Exhaust meter of nearest resource needing to produce some kind are added to production needed to produce selected good.

Additionally, if tile with resource is working, then exhaust meter was decreased by 1.

There is one thing to repair: What if we produce many legion unit and have only one iron? In this situation, meter was increased by 10 and this value is added to production of both cities! What if we cannot comply production?

We could also increase production cost by distance to nearest resource, but that' will be part of another idea.

Rationale: When mining, raw materials are stored in storage and miners must search for new source of some resource. In situation of husbanding, animals must reproduce.
When two cities producing some kind needing the same resource, then kind from storage must be split between these two cities. Additionally, we made assumption we don't hire additional workers in mine. Additionally, miners (for example) must search for new resources.

What do you think?
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

The game you're thinking of is Colonization.

All resources produced from the map are placed into storage in that city, and can be transported from one city to another by wagons or ships. Most resources in the game are cash crops/luxury goods to be sold in Europe for gold, but some like Lumber and Ore are raw materials in a production chain similar to what you are envisioning.

Buildings and non-population units like ships and cannons require a certain number of Producton and Tools to build. Carpenters turn Lumber into Production, and Blacksmiths turn Ore into Tools. You can chop wood in a forested area and ship it over to a more populous city whose carpenters can turn it into Production. You can mine Ore, ship it to be turned into Tools, and then ship those tools to a third city to be used in its construction.

The game is very interesting, but very quickly shifts from a game about Exploration and Colonies, to an intense Logistics-management game where you start crying out "If only I had MORE spreadsheets!".

If you liked Civ3 and thought its notion of "modular population" was cool, then you will LOVE Colonization.
If you love pixels, look for a copy of the original game.
If you like FreeCiv, check out FreeCol for a mostly complete isometric adaption of Colonization
If you want a more refined game, check out the TAC mod for Civ4Colonization.

Colonization is of course not the only game in existence to make use of stockpiled resources, but it's the closest one to Civilization.
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

My bad. My English is poor.

I don't think exhaust level are added to production (shields), but to production cost.
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Lachu wrote:My bad. My English is poor.

I don't think exhaust level are added to production (shields), but to production cost.
I actually misread the posts and thought that your post was written by the topic-starter.

Re-reading what you said, it seems that you are thinking of a system where the stockpiles of special resources be on the tiles they are gathered from, so that Horses might come from a pasture-tile, but building Knights would use-up horses faster than they can be created, so you'd have to make something else for a while. Something like that?
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

you are thinking of a system where the stockpiles of special resources be on the tiles they are gathered from
You are right.
but building Knights would use-up horses faster than they can be created,
I introduced exhaust value/meter. When we built knight, exhaust meter was increased for nearest iron and nearest horses. In both cases the value of increase is 5. Additionally, production cost is increased by exhaust meter of both resources. When horses tile is worked, then exhaust meter is decreased by 1 per turn.

Imagine now i build Knight. This unit need 20 shields, horses and iron. On nearest horses we have 0 exhaust level and on nearest iron we have 0 exhaust level too, but I also producing Legion, which needs iron. The same iron is nearest for city building Legion and city building knights. Legion need 10 shield.

First city have 10 production and second 5 production.
On first turn city 1 product 10 shield, so knights still need 10 shields. Second city produce 5 shield for legion.
Iron exhaust level is now 10 and Horses exhaust level is now 5.
In second turn we add to 15 production cost to Knight, because 10 exhaust meter of nearest iron and 5 exhaust meter of nearest Horses, so production cost is now 35. For Legion (second city) we add 10 production cost.
The idea must be refined - maybe by setting max exhaust level added to production cost as (city production minus one) multiply by turn of city is producing something.

So in this case Knight and Legion will never be produced ;-) . I think that I explain this correctly, but of course my English is poor.