sometimes a turn is skipped

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Grumbler

sometimes a turn is skipped

Postby Grumbler » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:57 pm

it happens very occasionally and is hard to reproduce, but it sometimes happens to me that a new turn comes, i'm reading the messages, and before i'm finished already the next turn appears with its new messages, without me moving any unit or clicking "end of turn" or something.

that skipped turn *does* create an auto-save, and sure enough (if i happen to notice the effect, it's not always so obvious) i can load it and play from there, confirming that indeed i missed a turn, but it's annoying.

does this happen to anyone else?

i'm certain this is a bug. is it known? i'm not sure what i can do to help catch the bug. any log file?

Ignatus
Hardened

Re: sometimes a turn is skipped

Postby Ignatus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 am

What version is it? Do you use turn time limit?

Grumbler

Postby Grumbler » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:33 pm

version 2.6.0, gui-gtk-3.0, civ2civ3 ruleset (i think it also happened with the default ruleset)

seems like a high-level error, could also be in those lua scripts.

i do not use a time limit, but indeed an "ETA" timer is showing counting from ~2 minutes down when the map is large and the AI moves take a while and the CPU runs hot. ;)
The timer disappears again when AIs are done, and I have control again.

But this bug happens independently from that timer. If it happens, it happens well before those 2 minutes have run out, and if it doesn't, I have all the time in the world to make my moves.

Wahazar
Hardened

Postby Wahazar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:13 am

Never got such issue with turn skipping, but I can confirm (at least for 2.6), that playing long on Gtk client (for several consecutive turns) cause overall lag in case of weak computer. The larger game is, the further lag come after even few turns.
I switched to Qt client problem solved (BTW, Qt for version 2.6 is much better than previous one).
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047

nef
Hardened

Postby nef » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:50 am

Is this the problem identified (and fixed) in this thread